What should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucas Foley

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I am new to diving and i dont own much equipment, just the basics. I have a wetsuit, fins, boots, and a mask. I am 15 and i am thinking about doing marine biology for a major in college. i really love diving and i hope to do it for a career. i dont know what i should get if anything right now. i have researched the scubapro knighthawk and i like it but i have never tried it on or anything. i dont get to dive during the school year and only sometimes over the summer. i was just wondering: should i even get a bcd? my parents are really pushing me to just rent when i go but i would like to have one to call my own but i dont know what to do. Any feedback would be nice. thank you

To get any kind of meaningful advice, we need to know the conditions under which you dive. Water temperature, wetsuit thickness, weight carried, your present height/weight and things like that.

Personally, I think you would do well to start with buying a good regulator but that's just me. First I breathe, then I float. That kind of thinking...

Do some research on BP/Ws (backplates and wings). You will find an aluminum backplate for $50 from LeisurePro. A stainless steel plate for $97 if you do cold water diving. You can build up the harness for less than $50 and a HOG 32# wing is around $200. All brand new. That's at least $100 less than the Knighthawk at LeisurePro and probably a couple of hundred cheaper than at your shop.

I'm not a fan of buying used from eBay but there is a nice BP/W there today for something around $200. The "But It Now" price seems too high.

Talk to people around your dive shop. I picked up a nice wing for my wife for $100 because the diver had changed to a different model. No reason not to buy it so I added the backplate and harness and she it good to go. You may find other divers have a lot of left over gear that could be purchased cheap. It won't be the latest and greatest stuff but in many cases it will be quite good. Even shops sell their gear from time to time. Sure, it will be old and well worn but it's a start.

Check the used equipment for sale forum here on SB.

Richard

Last edited:
Check Craig's List. There is often a bunch of gear available.

Richard

I would say try the Knighthawk ( rent it from a scubapro lds) I loved it and then bought it.

I would wait and just rent a BCD . try diferant ones to find the one you like and works bet for you . Plus you are still growing , you could buy one and in a year or two not fit in it. Buy a good reg / oct set and maybe a dive computer good luck and dive safe

SEARCH functions are your friend. The topic of which bcd's has been beaten to death and since everyone here knows I push the BP/W thing I'll just let you read for yourself.

But like was stated, we need to know the water temp you plan to dive in, if you plan to travel, budget, etc.

I have a question along these lines. I tried my first BP&W 2 weekends ago working on my AOW. It was much easier to control and no side rolling. and the bulging pockets that are on Jacket style that get in the way weren't there. Now as I really liked the BP&W I used, I am not 100% sold and so far have not found a shop in Atlanta that rents BP&W. does anyone know of a LDS in atlanta that rents BP&W setups? I really want to use it more and make sure it is what I want to do before buying it..Or if a backinflate jacket would be better. I know a lot of people here like BP&W. that is not what I am asking. I am really wanting to rent the BP&W for now to make sure it is something I want to purchase over jacket style. Thanks in advance for the information.

At 15 you will be changing in size still and whatever you get you will want to make sure that it can accomadate that change. A bp/wing has that built in, an appropriaytey chosen Knighthawk also has that.

Being new myself and having a 10 year old son that dives as well, we were able to pick up a really nice SeaQuest BCD for him at our LDS's spring garage sale event. I know that another LDS has a garage sale event scheduled in a couple of weeks and if there is a shop doing this in your area that may be a place to get some really nice gear and be able to inspect it and try it on before you buy. If you are able to attend one of these events, get there early as ours had quite a few people with teenagers with them and the BCDs in good condition went very quickly. We got lucky that there were several accessories already on the BCD as well, Wenoka blunt tip dive knife, retractor and octo holder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom