What should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucas, I agree with rstofer, I would go first for the reg and the BP/W, this is my opinion. With BP/W setup you have better balance, no rolling and it is better to trim. Also using a stell BP and singles adapter you cand ditch a lot of wheight, or even all of it if you put some ballast in the adapter.

I have a question along these lines. I tried my first BP&W 2 weekends ago working on my AOW. It was much easier to control and no side rolling. and the bulging pockets that are on Jacket style that get in the way weren't there. Now as I really liked the BP&W I used, I am not 100% sold and so far have not found a shop in Atlanta that rents BP&W. does anyone know of a LDS in atlanta that rents BP&W setups? I really want to use it more and make sure it is what I want to do before buying it..Or if a backinflate jacket would be better. I know a lot of people here like BP&W. that is not what I am asking. I am really wanting to rent the BP&W for now to make sure it is something I want to purchase over jacket style. Thanks in advance for the information.

Coach Steve, I don't know in the US, but here in Brazil you simply don't find BP/W to rent, to try you should either borrow from a friend or find a shop that let you "test dive" one. The advice I can give you is to go for BP/W, not backinflate BC, BP/W gives you a lote more control, easier to trim and the rigid BP is what prevent the side roll mainly, with backinflate BC you may have side rolling problems again. But this is my opinion, ok, the best is trying to find a way to try both and compare.

id go with the bp/w. a bpw is very modular and can accomodate many differnt types of diving, so it can grow with your skills, plus there very adustable.

IMHO, at 15 getting into a backplate configuration is premature, esp since the BC setup you get now probably won't be the one you have a few years in the future.

However, that doesn't mean you are confined to jacket style bcs; you can certainly check out back inflates (eg: diverite) or hybrids (aeris). The main things to concentrate upon are fit and function, especially looking at ensuring that what you get will accommodate all the types of exposure protection you wear.

Seek out a knowledgeable adult & take your time. Don't rush into getting something too elaborate or too complicated just because it looks cool.

Bonne chance,

Probably a dead subject now but my two cents are...

Given that you said you would only be diving a few times during the summer it seems overkill to buy gear now. I would explore your local area for dive clubs that offer deals to their members for rental gear. In the two countries I have dove in they both offered substantial deals on rentals if you were a member. It was only after I started doing winter diving that I purchased my gear.

On the contrary, I think getting a BP/W is a better solution than buying a BC. Some backplates are available in sizes, but not all. Deep Sea Supply has a medium plate for divers 5'3" to 6'0" and a large plate for divers 6'0" to 6'3" (plus 'small' and 'long' sizes) while DiveRite has just one size, OxyCheq also has just one size. Several styles, but just one size.

Given that the plate type and size as well as wing lift are established, only the harness changes as a diver grows. Replacement webbing is cheap!

Richard

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom