Is anyone feeling "unconnected"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't forgotten about working on a local diving network, just thought I'd let nature take its course for a few weeks to see how the current, posting dives on the board and jumping in, method would work. Are most people having success connecting this way or better yet, is anyone feeling "unconnected"?

My weekends are sporatic but I do try to get out weekly, during the week if anyone's feeling overly "dry".

If the system is working well for the majority I say ok but I did talk to Peter (netdoc) and if 12 or so members express an interest he will create a subforum for us (should we choose to go that route). If 12 or so members say they want it here I'll ask Peter to set it up. If not, not.

On an unrelated note. Does anyone know of a good web/blog host site that is easy to use and not cluttered with ads? I want to try creating a site that has a collection of articles, photos, dive site maps etc (how original :shakehead:) but I am not what one would call "computer savvy" (I mainly learn what I have to to utilize the technology). I have used Blogger for my fish blog but I find it somewhat unwieldy as far as formatting and layout is concerned.

Later,
dale.

Hi Dale,

In response to the first portion - I've hooked up with a few divers now via this board already AND I'm diving the next 4 days in a row with different buddies from SB.

There are lots of good folks here looking for buddies.

Now my next question is, when are WE going ?? :D

I've been fortunate enough to hook up with a ton of great local divers through SB. It seems that posted requests for buddies seldom go unanswered, as long as you give people enough advanced notice to get organized. I have to say though that the calendar hasn't worked as well as it could - it's an extra step, people hate extra steps. :)

That said... Dale, your efforts and ideas are very much appreciated and I'd certainly be up for joining anything you put together.

I'd be interested as well.. pulling in some odd jobs here and there to try and not dive into my savings account.

for your last question which lots of people seemed to have ignored :p

1: your best bet is to host your own site, you obviously have more control of ads and all that stuff. Hosting can be cheap or you can even create a basic *.html document and upload it to your ISP's webserver.
You'd get some weak domain name out of it but the price is right (usually free)

2:if you wanted to pay for a domain name, it would cost money but you could get the site re-directed to your ISP's site with your folder on it.

3: Hosting on an actual site can be cheap, they will register a domain for you and host your site usually with a lot of space to choose from so you dont have to crop images to poor resolution to fit onto the space, I believe netscape composer is still around, its super easy to create html documents without knowing the HTML language.

Other than that.. there's no websites that dont have tons of advertising... how else are they supposed to make money?

I don't believe you...
Tomorrow 3:30-4:00 at Cultus for a quick dive if you need one or if you can hold out till Tuesday I have most of the day off.
Choose your poison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom