Booking Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have also used Andy at Bonaire - Bonaire Travel and Bonaire Information : Bonaire Pros and highly recommend him. I've booked thru him several times and everything has always been smooth sailing when I have done so.

It still amazes me how some of the LDS will run trips and jack the price up by several hundred dollars and for what? They make a couple of phone calls instead of you doing it? There was always one dive shop in the area that would do this and got away with it for several years. But as the internet has opened up all kinds of doors for people booking their own trips, I have noticed this particular dive shop has pretty much stopped this practice. In todays economy, folks want to get the best value for their dollars and booking thru dive shops that tack on more money to cover their trip costs so they can send a few folks from the shop for free ain't the way to get your best value! (Especially when they don't really add any value.)

I have also used Andy at Bonaire - Bonaire Travel and Bonaire Information : Bonaire Pros and highly recommend him. I've booked thru him several times and everything has always been smooth sailing when I have done so.

It still amazes me how some of the LDS will run trips and jack the price up by several hundred dollars and for what? They make a couple of phone calls instead of you doing it? There was always one dive shop in the area that would do this and got away with it for several years. But as the internet has opened up all kinds of doors for people booking their own trips, I have noticed this particular dive shop has pretty much stopped this practice. In todays economy, folks want to get the best value for their dollars and booking thru dive shops that tack on more money to cover their trip costs so they can send a few folks from the shop for free ain't the way to get your best value! (Especially when they don't really add any value.)

What really kills me is that I would imagine that many of these dive shops that are booking trips and selling them, they are getting free trips of their own for the booking (i.e. resort X says you bring me 9 and you stary for free sort of thing). If true value is added, I do not mind poaying a fair price for a service. If I can do the same thing for nothing, I will. Andy at Bonaire Pros is a good example....I do not see it as I am giving them a lot of money so I do not mind. If their prices get jacked or there happen to be a lot of mistakes, then I will go on my own.

I can't add a whole lot to what's already been said except to just do it. Buddy Dive will fill all your needs well. The only thing I would add is that someone in your group should carry a cable-lock, like for bicycles, to secure the spare tire. Every once ina while one of these things grow legs and you have to pay for it or the insurance does, at about $250.

If anybody in the group has an American Express card you can contact them and get coverage for the truck at a much reduced price vs the $18 per day on the island.

To ask how is Bonaire as a dive destination? If you like diving your own profile or air supply, on your schedule vs a boat then this is the cat's meow.

I just got done organizing a trip for some friends and myself for the end of September (two weeks). They've never been there. I've been there 6 times in the last 4 years and this will be my 7th. Previously I have only stayed at Buddy's and Plaza Resort. Both are nice, but the Plaza is more spread out. Buddy's is more diver friendly in that respect. Do the house reef every day and it's great for night dives.

Whatever you do, go slow and look for the little critters. And have fun.

What really kills me is that I would imagine that many of these dive shops that are booking trips and selling them, they are getting free trips of their own for the booking (i.e. resort X says you bring me 9 and you stary for free sort of thing). If true value is added, I do not mind poaying a fair price for a service. If I can do the same thing for nothing, I will. Andy at Bonaire Pros is a good example....I do not see it as I am giving them a lot of money so I do not mind. If their prices get jacked or there happen to be a lot of mistakes, then I will go on my own.

You're right on! Most places do just what you say. 9 pay the 10th is free or 10 pay the 11th is free or whatever. And I don't mind that. It's not really costing me anything and that is a benefit for the shop. But to add on top of the freebie slot even more money because the "shop person" wants to take their spouse for free won't get any support from me.

Most of the time with Andy, he actually beats the best rate I can find by a few dollars. Don't know if he passes on a little of his commission as a savings to us or maybe because he books in volume he gets a really good deal but it's always appreciated by me and that's why I recommend him.

I've always booked direct with Buddy Dive (and other hotels on Bonaire), using their toll-free number. Also booked the flights myself on Continental.com. Cheaper than with any of the local dive travel agents, or with my LDS.

We spent two HEAVENLY weeks diving in Bonaire in Jan. Stayed at Den Laman and it was perfect for our needs with full kitchen, truck rental included, etc. Also met folks who were staying at Buddy's and Sand Dollar and loved it. It's usually easy to book directly with the resorts via e-mail.

I always book my flights directly with the airlines to get the best price. Most resorts offer truck rental included in the package, along with meals. Just depends on your needs and budget. Most important is the DIVING, with most dive ops in Bonaire literally set up so you can dive 24/7, easy tank pick ups and drop off, free Nitrox in many cases. We dove in Jan. with Bonaire Dive & Adventure, and I can also recommend Touchan Dive. Again, heard good things about Buddy.

A travel agent can be a plus if you don't have any knowledge at all about a destination and need their expertise. Otherwise, you can garner good info here from Scubaboard from those who have come and gone before you to your future dive locales. Have fun and safe diving! You'll love Bonaire...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom