What to Consider as a New Student to Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

me and my wife are new to diving done with class just o/w dive to go i read the post every day and have learn alot it has been alot of help to learn from other experenice or misfortune . i only have 1 con some members think spelling and gramer is the most important well it is not i can not spell good gramer sucks but some might learn from my post well not mine i have not done a dive as of now lol but i learn from them so please keep posting

Great advice. All good info.

But there is also the responsibility of the student to (1) do the course-work
BEFORE class, (2) listen to the instructor; (3) communicate ANY difficulties to the instructor. It is a safe, fun, sport. The safety aspects are important, but if you stay within recreational limits, do the training, and STAY updated, all should be good!!!

Hi,,
Welcome everyone. my ans to this question is pretty simple. an instructor must and i stress must realize that every one of his/her new student is different from the other. besides the teaching skills and friendly nature they have to find out if the student has any fears /inhibitions. solve that first. the time taken to achieve this or the methods used may vary but it'll make it that much more fun to learn how to dive. look.listen.understand.learn....then teach.

I always say to keep in mind you will be 10 times more skilled each dive. All of that trivial stuff like water in the mask will soon go away. After your 5 dive you will feel 50 times more comfortable than your first dive, so hang in there!

Bob Vincent, log books are great. I don't think that people should have to keep them, or that they should be checked, but if you had actually logged what you had dived during the last 20 years I think you would be happy to read about those dives. It's a life thing. I've logged all of my dives and it's fun and educational.

me and my wife are new to diving done with class just o/w dive to go

I recommend diving at calm warm water / light drift / good visibility locations for your first 20 or so dives. They call it recreational diving for a reason. You and your wife will learn additional skills after the Open Water Course. Your wife will embrace the sport and stay your buddy if you don't over do it at the beginning. Keep it fun.

I ditto the comments about having an instructor that really listens to your concerns/fears. I became ill at one point during my AOW (due to a number of factors including seasicknes) and my instructor refused to continue unless I was better. In fact, she monitored my H2O intake to make sure I was well hydrated! She didn't rush me and made sure my health was top priority which I greatly appreciated.

BTW - there was a guy who struggled with claustrophobia. His pride kept him from telling the instructor at first so they worked patiently with him alone. However, got to the point that he couldn't continue. So never be afraid to speak to your instructor. Safety first!

It's hard to give the one on one in a large group class setting. It's is the students responsibility to recognize they may need private instruction. If you need more time to be comfortable with scuba skills, book a private session with the instructor.

Back
Top Bottom