What to Consider as a New Student to Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello to all. I am NEW to this world of SCUBA. I just did my first dive (I don't know if you would consider it a "real" dive.) I did the discovers lesson in St. Lucia. I am now hooked, I haven't felt this kind of passion since 1993 when I first joined the fire service (still a FireFighter today). I am stationed overseas right now so I decided to take the PADI eLearning course. When I get back to the states I will be getting Open Water certified ASAP with my wife and two girls. My one girl is 10 y/o I would like to know what are the guidelines for young people that want to dive? Is 10 too young? I would also like to know how long will it take to go up in certs? Any info would be great. Thanks, Leo

Hello to all. I am NEW to this world of SCUBA. I just did my first dive (I don't know if you would consider it a "real" dive.) I did the discovers lesson in St. Lucia. I am now hooked, I haven't felt this kind of passion since 1993 when I first joined the fire service (still a FireFighter today). I am stationed overseas right now so I decided to take the PADI eLearning course. When I get back to the states I will be getting Open Water certified ASAP with my wife and two girls. My one girl is 10 y/o I would like to know what are the guidelines for young people that want to dive? Is 10 too young? I would also like to know how long will it take to go up in certs? Any info would be great. Thanks, Leo

Fireknight (Leo) First of all thanks for the job you do

A 10 Y/o can scuba dive under some very clear standards and directions. Check with your instructor exactly what the standards are. Ask to see and read them. DO not be bothered by asking the instructor questions you think will make you feel most comfortable. Note that 10 y/o could be put into a position that may save your life diving so ensure that repition and a full understanding are achieved of skills and knowledge.. You know your 10 y/o be honest and certain as to his/her maturity. Also take the time to ensure correct fitting equipment for the 10 y/o is used as for all of you, . good luck

i want to be a dive instructor. do i have to go to a commercial dive school? also i talked to the director at a commercial school and he tried to discourage me from attending said commercial diving is not for woman. is this true?

BS find a different school

Thanks. I am back from vacation and did four tropical boat dives with no problem. I loved it and chose not to spend any more time and money on certification. Maybe next trip. My suspicion is the drop out rate for those in my age group with the course structure I experienced is high. I paid for a certification (and accessories) upnfront that I had maybe a 50% chance of achieving. I was poorly informed. I could have used your advice on the front end.

Couldn't agree more about how it's about the student. Kudos to you meeting your student where they are! My first dive instructor was a young kid (20-ish) who talked more about his shark tattoos than understanding what was important to me. Needless to say that it wasn't a success story. I went back to the shop and demanded a different instructor, my choice. Success!

My wife and I took lessons (she 58), and got a mouthfull of water while performing her first openwater dive. SHE WAS DONE. Our instructor was a young go-getter that lacked the finese when dealing with an older apprehensive woman.
Returned and got a 60yr old female instructor who was patient, and took her at a slower pace. SUCCESS.
Remember, that you aren't joining the Marine Corp. Make it a fun experience. Learn at your own speed. BREATHING UNDER WATER IS NOT NATURAL>

This couldn't be more true! Instructor's patience and finesse go a long way in helping the apprehensive. And helping spread the word about how fun diving is!!

just from reading the intro to the thread i would say. make sure there is an open dialog with the instructor through out the whole course even while submerged...

my instructor was good all in all but on the first open water dive he/she was instructing me and leading 4-5 other divers. so i got rushed down the line and had to stay pace with experienced divers. I did get a lot of 1 to 1 instruction, and did learn but was sunk a bit fast for a first time diver (ears)

If when speaking to your prospective instructor, they don't have the patience to answer your questions, get out of there! If they don't have patience and interest in you before you start the course, then they certainly won't do when you get in the water!

By the way, where's the best place to go diving?

THAT'S a loaded question!

The best answer, perhaps, is: The place I'm going to dive today!

Thanks! This post was really helpful. I'm new to diving, I've only done Discovery Dives down in Key Largo, but I'm hoping to go for my cert sometime in June or July! I will definitely take some of this information with me when I go to find a place to get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom