Diver lost off Gloucester...Any info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are all very sad to have heard the news here on the West Coast. He will be missed. Paul has always had a special place in our hearts.

Last edited:
Such a tragedy...I dove on the Poling 8 days prior and I was working in Boston Harbor Monday when I heard the USCG issue the alert on the VHF. Your heart sinks when you hear that call. Condolences to the family and friends.

Whatever the cause turns out to be, the part that is sort of hard to imagine is that this was a man who safely completed an amazing dive to the Portland in 460 ft of water along with many other other dives most of us here would never dare attempt. Yet he didn't die on some deep, dark, daring dive to the Portland, he died on the Chester Poling in 90 ft of water. It is one of the most popular and heavily dived wrecks in the Northeast. It is a dive I'll confess I usually think of as being "routine", and certainly not the kind of site I'd expect to claim a diver such as Paul.

If there is a lesson in that, it would be that every dive, no matter how routine it seems, or how experienced you are, can go wrong given the right combination of problems.

Whatever the cause turns out to be, the part that is sort of hard to imagine is that this was a man who safely completed an amazing dive to the Portland in 460 ft of water along with many other other dives most of us here would never dare attempt. Yet he didn't die on some deep, dark, daring dive to the Portland, he died on the Chester Poling in 90 ft of water. It is one of the most popular and heavily dived wrecks in the Northeast. It is a dive I'll confess I usually think of as being "routine", and certainly not the kind of site I'd expect to claim a diver such as Paul.

If there is a lesson in that, it would be that every dive, no matter how routine it seems, or how experienced you are, can go wrong given the right combination of problems.

Too true. Even in death Paul is leaving us with one final lesson.

Paul was a valued member of The Frogmen's Club and to the diving community as a whole. He will be missed. This tragic incident has deeply effected us all. Our thought's and Prayers go out to Pauls family and friends.

May you truly rest in peace brother.

-The Frogmen

pretty much my thoughts exactly. A huge gut check to remind me that every dive is serious!!! RIP

Very sad. I never dove with him, but use to speak with him frequently. He was always eager to show off any new gear he had and explain how it operated.

Most divers in the Cape Ann have had some contact with him. If you've had your tank Hydro'd in the last 10 years or so, there's a good chance Paul did it.

Back
Top Bottom