Lahaina fire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outrage?

Well I should think so.

And arrested by Marines? OK.

full story here

Full ******** story

The Four Seasons does indeed likely average a grand a night. You think Maui is packed with tourists spending a grand a night?

Government rate is $304 for lodging. Anything over that the employee pays themselves. I am sure Four Seasons is happy to get $304 rather than lay off their employees.

View attachment 799029

After we evacuated West Maui we stayed at one of the named five star luxury hotels in Wailea. Why? Because when a load hotels are not useable because they are in the disaster zone with no power, no cell, no internet, limited food, unsafe water, and there are no rooms available on Maui at any price, you have to take whatever lodging you can get. We were extremely lucky to find anything at all. People had to scramble to find any kind of roof over their heads, some had to sleep in their cars or shelters or the airport.

It wasn't just FEMA staying at our hotel, there were out-of-state SAR and other first responders staying at our hotel. Probably because there was available rooms with power and communications and food. We saw them go out in the early morning to West Maui and come back late at night. The only comment we got from any of them was, "Don't go back to Lahaina." They were finding whole families including children and pets that were gone. It wasn't exactly hanging out at the pool or the spa.

The FEMA arrest story is fake news folks, completely made up. It was originally an article on a satire website Real Raw News, and credulously repeated by some very questionable news sources. We don't moderate for information accuracy so I'm not going to touch any of these posts, but I would encourage you all to read the Snopes article @lexvil posted above: No, FEMA's Erik Hooks Wasn't Arrested in Aftermath of Maui Wildfires

All of Hawaii has like a 97% occupancy rate year round, or at least they did when I last looked. When there is any glitch in the housing availability, things get really tight, really fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom