Divers Should Be Able To Dive Vandenberg SATURDAY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey, thanks for the info and pics.... can't wait till we can make a trip down there & dive...& the pics look nice, even without the filter!

great pix and some nice viz.

I don't have any pictures to show, but I just did my 1st fun dive yesterday on the Vandenberg. My 1st dive was a working dive as a clearance diver checking blast holes at 140'.

The ship is an awesome dive with plenty to see. Dive the wreck as a multi-level dive and you can get some good bottom time off gassing as you check out the upper structure.

Going again on Friday. :D

Michael

I will be back down to do some fun dives on her. But Im getting ready to go to Curacao for a week. And then look out Vandenberg here I come. And I will be using Keys Mobile Diver for a boat and a good time.

The crew that took us out today said the current was the best that they have seen so far. It was 3 knots today....so IMO I would not recommend this dive for a new diver. Most of the things to see are below 60ft....There are a lot more people on this board with a lot more experience, hopefully they will chime in. Good luck.....

That agrees with the impression I got from the other reports here. It sounds like a great dive but I'm crossing it off our list for this trip.

I'm looking for some advice from you experienced divers who know the conditions on the Vandy. My daughter and I are just completing our OW and will be taking our first dive trip to the Keys later this month. We've planned to keep this a simple fun trip to get comfortable in the water and work on skills. We're not looking for challenges right now. It's challenge enough to not be a hazard to ourselves or others.

When I saw the Vandenberg was being sunk and was expected to be appropriate for all levels, I thought it might be fun to dive the new wreck (upper levels) and it would give us something to watch over the years.

So my questions are:

1. How much of it can we see going no deeper than 60 feet?

2. I've seen a couple of mentions of current. How much of a problem do you think it would be for newbies?

3. Do you recommend this dive for novices? I have a fairly low tolerance to call this and stick to simpler and shallower reef dives.
I would not recommend this for a newly certified diver unless they had a chaperon.

1) There is a fair amount around 60', but many people will be drawn down to the 80' range before they know it. If you feel the temperature change (thermocline) you are probably below 60'. There is no need to panic if you go below 60', just signal your buddy and slowly work you way back up. DO NOT rush your ascent just to be at 60'.

2) Expect current that you can barely swim against. If you're lucky it will be less. When there is current use the ship to block it where you can and pull yourself along rather than kicking/swimming. Start the dive by going up current so you can 'drift' back to the line. Use a snorkel on the surface to save gas.

3) Again, I would not recommend this for a newly certified diver unless they were comfortable in the water. Maybe this could be a one of the last dives of the trip, so you can build confidence on easier dives before committing to the Vandenberg.

The Vandenberg isn't going anywhere, she'll be there when you are ready. Wrecks usually get better as they age anyway.

I would not recommend this for a newly certified diver unless they had a chaperon.

1) There is a fair amount around 60', but many people will be drawn down to the 80' range before they know it. If you feel the temperature change (thermocline) you are probably below 60'. There is no need to panic if you go below 60', just signal your buddy and slowly work you way back up. DO NOT rush your ascent just to be at 60'.

2) Expect current that you can barely swim against. If you're lucky it will be less. When there is current use the ship to block it where you can and pull yourself along rather than kicking/swimming. Start the dive by going up current so you can 'drift' back to the line. Use a snorkel on the surface to save gas.

3) Again, I would not recommend this for a newly certified diver unless they were comfortable in the water. Maybe this could be a one of the last dives of the trip, so you can build confidence on easier dives before committing to the Vandenberg.

The Vandenberg isn't going anywhere, she'll be there when you are ready. Wrecks usually get better as they age anyway.

It seemed like it would be cool to see it as a "new" wreck and watch how it changes over the years. We'll still do it but probably on our next dive trip rather than this one when we have some more experience and training. I expect we'll get to the Keys 2 or 3 times a year.

I'm a little surprised that my 16 year old daughter who's a bit of a risk taker is as conscious of staying well within our limits as I am. We'll be quite happy on the reefs and shallower wreck for this trip.

It seemed like it would be cool to see it as a "new" wreck and watch how it changes over the years. We'll still do it but probably on our next dive trip rather than this one when we have some more experience and training. I expect we'll get to the Keys 2 or 3 times a year.

I'm a little surprised that my 16 year old daughter who's a bit of a risk taker is as conscious of staying well within our limits as I am. We'll be quite happy on the reefs and shallower wreck for this trip.

Better be careful, with an attitude like that you're likely to grow old without ever having the joy of <put your favorite diving malady here>.

Just some friendly words of advice for the new divers that want to dive the Vandenberg...

DONT DO IT!

Reasons are as follows.

1. Heavy currents. We had a small wake behind the boat each day we dove, and our mooring ball was underwater each dive because the current was so strong.
2. Profile changes. You can very easily go from 60 ft at the top of the structure and wheel house to 93 (100 ft on tables) at the deck without missing a beat. All it takes is someone not watching their depth and time, and you can end up in deco very easily.
3. Rapid air consumption. All of the trips that we took out averaged 15-20 mins of dive time.. NOT BOTTOM TIME! This was from the time our divers hit the water to the time they were back on the ladder. The currents are air suckers. You will work hard to fight them, and burn through 1000psi in some instances just trying to get down the line. For those of you complaining that dive boats only stay out there for one dive and 30-40 mins, this is why. Divers are blowing a tank in 15 mins, and they current is running too hard for most to exert a second dive on her. So they go to a reef for the second dive. We have yet to get 2 dives in on the Vandenberg because of this.
4. Temptation!! It is EVERYWHERE! You can be at the deck in 90fsw, and look over the side and see the name on the bow. Then you want to drop down and you are now in 105. And you then want to check out the vent holes, and you are now at 120. Then you see something inside, and you want to go check it out without the proper training or certification. Even at minimal depths, you still have open hatches beckoning you to come inside for a look that could be your last. We went inside, and on the refrigeration decks, there is insulation floating everywhere. All the crud from the bilges came up during the infulx of water. I wont go any further on the description of the insides, but there is a lot that you can get snagged on and hung up on even within sight of the safe glow of daylight. PLEASE DO NOT GO INSIDE!!
5. Not knowing your buddy. On most of the boats, you will not know the person you are diving with unless you came with them. We very rarely have people that know each other come out and dive together. So you will be paired with someone that might or might not have the comfort or experience that you have. If you do go, I suggest going in threes. We normally have one person blow through air, and head back to the line, while the other two continue on with their dives.

Im not telling people NOT to go to the Vandenberg. It is a great dive, and she is settling already into the sand. I hit 156 the other day at Keel in sand while taking a temperature reading for NOAA, and there is already a trough at the bottom where the current is carving sand away. This will cause her to settle even more. There is so much to see and explore on this ship, and even those of us that got to see her before she went down cant get enough of her now that she IS down.

Just please remember to dive your limits, and limit your dive to what your TRUE ability is. The Vandenberg will be here for generations to come, and there is no rush to kill yourself on her just to get a dive in.

SAFE DIVING EVERYONE!!!

The husband and I dove the Vandenberg June 3rd. We dove with Subtropic in Key West. We had great weather with 1-2ft waves. I dove in a 3mm and it was comfy. We used 30% nitrox. We did 2 dives. We were the only boat out there at the 1pm hour. We had the vandy all to ourselves yeee haawww. I am 5'8 and weigh about 132. I am telling you this in reference to the current.

I did not notice a current on the way down. I was surprised at how soon you can see the ship once you start descending. The vis was about 60ft. Once on board I noticed about a 2 knot current not bad but a good swim. Swim against the current and coast back to your exit point. There is not a lot of marine life yet but we did see a school of baby squid and a rather large barracuda. One of the crew reported a very large parrot fish.

The ship is fantastic that is the only way to describe it :) The guys from the crew found some holes that had some air pockets, they elected to take a breath. One of them said he got oil and dirt the other one said it was OK. Hmmm maybe no breaths in air pockets. The ship is penetrable but not advisable unless you are trained to do so.

This was a great dive if you want a great crew pick Subtropic they did a great job and it was lots of fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom