Is scuba a good back injury rehab excercise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find long dives uncomfortable for me back because I tend to hold a slightly arched position whilst diving (maybe that's just me).

But some older divers enjoy the relief of weightlessness. I remember one senior citizen commenting to me: "it's like being 70 again!".

Try drinking beer on a beach..... You can watch scuba divers from there... :)

Considering what all of the above posters have said about the actuall weight of the equipment, gear assembly and getting into and out of the water it might not seem to be a good idea, but only you can feel what works for you.

But, there is a factor that may help you alot. Since the back and stomach muscles are the bodies 'centre of power', all power you need to do a heavy lift or even carrying around on your own bodyweight is gathered from there.

So, very strong stomach muscles can actually compensate for weaker back muscles. But, some people with a strong difference in the strength between back and stomach muscles, especially with stronger stomach muscles have experienced 'back-pain' from beeing too strong in the stomach area compared to the back area.

But with no extreme difference between the two areas I dont see that there should be any problems beeing stronger in the stomach area.

But I still recomend you to contact a sports medicine physician before attempting anything that may cause more injuries to your already injured back.

I really wish that Scuba would be the thing for you.

Good luck with the recovery!

Best regards, Pitchblack.

The way you phrase your question is likely to get you a fairly clear response that scuba won’t be the answer. I am no expert but I highly doubt it will “get your muscles back in shape”. Also the relief that the (fairly temporary) weightlessness under water gives versus the work required to get in and out of water is out of proportion. Honestly, the risk of getting in and out way outweighs the benefits unless you are able to work to get the back in shape in other ways.

Scuba per se is not that great work out (in water). Indeed, I have noticed some athropy with some muscles since taking it on. It also strains back to some degree eg you need to arch your back to stay in trim. Kicking in more demanding conditions puts a great strain on my back some days at least (not that one needs to choose to dive in those conditions with a bad back). The work out really is on land, and it’s exactly the type of work out you do not want with bad back – load bearing, twisting and bending with a weight on you, yanking yourself up, possibly handling weight on uneven or moving surfaces and sometimes impacts (jumping in) etc. All no-no:s for crappy back.

Not to be a drag because it’s a great sport but I would say that unless you are dying to dive, scuba would definitely not be the first sport/recreation I would pick as a back rehab. (Swimming as you know is great). I am not talking out of my a$$, as I am recovering from a severe back injury myself, and I curse daily that I am so addicted to scuba that I can’t quit thinking of ways to abuse my back again the day I am cleared to get into it. It’s a great motivator but help yourself while you can and pick something more sane if you can! I certainly feel your pain about boring mini-walks, back and forth swimming and doodling this and that when wanting to do real things, hang in there!

your back might feel good when your in the water....but when you get out of the water your gear is a lot heavier! not to mention if you did a beach dive, then you have to walk accross the sand with heavy wet gear.

I would have to say 'No'. I personally have to do regular core exercises to keep my back happy with diving.

I injured my back in a car accident and was wondering if scuba diving would be beneficial to me. I have four bulging discs on the left side of my lower back and a slight scoliosis due to the pain.

For actual medical advice, you should talk to an actual doctor.

FWIW, I twisted the crap out of my back a few years ago, and for most of the summer, the only time it didn't hurt was in the water.

As other have mentioned, the weight of your equipment will be a real problem, however what I didn't see mentioned is that you do not have to be wearing your equipment when entering or exiting the water, which makes it no problem at all.

If you go boat diving in calm water, there's absolutely no reason you can't setup your gear and ask someone to lower it into the water, walk down the ladder and then put it on.

When you exit the water, you can take your equipment off and ask someone to lift it back into the boat, then climb back up the ladder.

Terry

I can relate my own experiences, as I bulged a disc (shovelling snow) last winter.

I had a continuous "tweak" feeling in my back last year, and found the gear on the surface to be quite heavy. In some instances the weight of the gear increased discomfort in my back: Particularly when shore diving.

In the water, I tend to arch my back a bit, so also experienced discomfort underwater at times too.

Over the winter, I signed up for a "back and ab" class at a fitness centre. With 2 classes a week, this has taken away any pain and really strengthed "the core" muscles. The class is mostly about working the abs, gluts, and hamstrings as well as stability (using a stability ball and bosu).

A class might be something to consider, if the docs are ok with the activity based on the severity of your injury....YMMV.

I agree with the "no" crowd. I have a partially herniated disk in my lower back and scoliosis also like my right leg is longer then the left. Diving alone does nothing positive. As mentioned, being IN the water is fine. But even climbing up on the boat after a dive, I could feel it about to tweak out on me, which in my case meant pain for about a month.
I'd been to chiropractors and doctors and was recommended to have surgery (no fricken way) stretch, pain medication...nothing worked...UNTIL, I started doing a regular workout routine with core exercises every week. Back, abs, side (obliques?) That worked wonders. Amazing. I can't believe no doctor or bone crusher recommended this 15 years earlier. But I guess if they did, they knew I wouldn't need them anymore....

This is not necessarily a reccomendation but a brief account of my experience. I had back surgery (Micro-diskectomy at L3-4) in August of 08. Rehabed for 4 months and felt fairly good. In January, February and March of 09 I did 70 dives. I could almost feel my back improving. My back improved substantially. I can't say if it was part of the natural healing process or if it was attributable to the diving. I can say with certainity it was great for my head after a trying experience.
The advice on this thread about being careful getting in and out of the water is sound advice. The extra weigh, particularly on a rocking boat can be tricky. Putting your gear on and off in the water is one altrnative. Using your stomach muscles more to shift the burden also helps.
Several of my pre-surgery actities, I can no longer do, including mowing the lawn (Happy to have lost that one :D ) but scuba is therapy. I can stay active rather than becoming a couch Potato and getting away from gravity even if only for a short time is the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom