Tastes like Chicken: a unique solution to the Lionfish Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a Lionfish roundup recently in Abaco, and 1400 were collected. There are areas in Abaco, Exuma and Jumentos where reef fish are non existent due to the appetite of the Lionfish. Hopefully activities like this can put a dent in the population.

It is a nice clean white meat with the taste and consistency of Sea Bass.

This would be very good, as sea bass (at least those large toothed fishes that comprise the general term) is threatened. It would be nice to have a great substitute! Can't wait to try one - send a box to Dallas!

Interesting. I'm gonna have to go to one of those restaurants in the Bahamas to try some lionfish - not quite up to doing it myself just yet.

On another note, does anyone know if the venom from the spines is being tested for potential medicinal uses (like Cobra venom is used for some things)? That would be interesting to learn more about.

Ok cleaning directions please. To get rid of the venomus parts of the fish.

Waived a lionfish on a polespear in the face a sandtiger on Friday, since he was acting a little too interested in the fish on my stringer. Wouldn't have anything to do with said lionfish, the good news is that that concluded his interest in my stringer too. Have to say he passed up a tasty meal as two made it to my dinner plate. It is a nice clean white meat with the taste and consistency of Sea Bass.

Yep. A polespear would have been nice in Coz. Unfortunately they don't allow polespears or spears of any kind in the Marine Park. Fortunately we had a former Neanderthal in our midst who was able to improvise with an old conch shell for one and a piece of steel pipe for the other.

Let's try to create enough awareness before we have the opportunity to round-up 1400 of them like in The Bahamas.

Those lionfish look kind of boney. But the cause is valid.

I am thinking of going down to Beaufort with my harpoons now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom