Newbie going to Aruba- HELP with dive shop and where I should dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jifi

Registered
Reaction score
Citizen of the world, currently in Northeast USA
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All

Need a little help/info on Aruba diving. I have read posts on Aruba and I had made a plan of action. But now as my trip approaches (next week), I am getting NERVOUS and need a bit more hand holding/info (I am a brand new diver, just certified). FYI- I love SCUBA!!! I am a little fearful, Aruba will be my first "real" diving, I want to be safe as possible (I'm reading Shadow Diver, lots of a dead, not good for the confidence!). :nailbiter:

1. What should I know?

2. I would love to have a dive master in the water keeping an eye out. I have read good things about many of the dive shops in Aruba, but heard a dive master doesn't always dive.
What dive shop will "hold my hand" through my newbie dives/dive master in the water keeping an eye? -I don't want to be one of the masses. And take me to appropriate location.
3.Where should I dive?

4. Do they supply buddies? -My Dive buddy isn't sure she wants to dive now... :-(

Please help me clam my newbie nerves. :dork2:

Thanks,

Jifi

I'm all new to this as well. Before I got my certification, I did a discover with Jads Dive Center. They pick you up and take you out. I paid for my wife and I to go, she backed out (not a diver) and they let me go twice. I'm sure it would be a little better and different know that I'm certified.

Both times it was just me and the dive master.

I would use them again, had a blast and that is what started my expensive hobby.

Where are you staying? I always use Romeo at Native Divers Native Divers Aruba PADI Open Water Diving certifications He only takes 6 or 7 divers out at a time and he is always in the water with you and has his second mate stay on the boat during the dive. Vanessa has their tent set up on the beach in front of the Marriott Surf Club. Romeo will pick you up and drop you off at your resort. He has snacks, water, juice, and water on the boat.

Go JADS! I have dived with many of the operators on Aruba. The ride to the south side of the island is WELL WORTH your time. Of all the dive operators on the island, JADS gives you the best one on one. Additionally, they will take you diving one on one if there aren't any others signed up on the day you want to dive. No extra charge.

I only dive with Clive and Dive Aruba.
But he is definitely not for brand new divers.

Good report about Jads right under this thread.

Have Fun !

I've had nothing but happy times with USA (Unique Sports of Aruba) located smack in the middle of the highrise area.
Aruba - Unique Sports of Aruba - P.A.D.I. Training Facility
In fact they completed my OW dives. They dive mostly (please pardon the spelling) The Antilla wreck (if I correctly recall, it's around 55 feet deep), Pedernales reef & Malmok reefs both around 45 foot deep. They take people doing that vacation certification thing on these dives so they are considered real easy. Lots to see too. Just about any dive operation in Aruba will hook you up with a partner. On my dives everyone had a partner so I buddied up with the DM. Convenient because he had to test my skills anyway.
And, like everyone has said already, I hear nothing but good stuff about Jads. I'll be in Aruba the later half of August. If you are there then I'll be more than happy to buddy up with you if it's convenient. I'll have a jeep there too. I'll be looking to dive with both USA as well as Jads.

(PS: this will be my 12th trip to Aruba)

All advice is good so far. Just stay away from Red Sail. They are the worst operator on the island. I suspect that the term "cattleboat" originated there.

i dived about 3 years ago in aruba with mermaid and there were superb with the less experienced divers and so friendly. i would definately recommend. But most operators are very good in aruba and cater for all levels

BEWARE! Mermaid has had their affiliations pulled by all the agencies for less than scrupulous behaviour towards female divers, both above and below the water by their staff. There is lots of reading if you do a search on them.

sorry to hear about that wont ever recommend them again - obviously i am not there type !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom