Newbie going to Aruba- HELP with dive shop and where I should dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jads may be fine, but I have always been a little suspicious of all the glowing reviews here by people who seem to have very few posts here. Anyone else notice this trend?

Jads may be fine, but I have always been a little suspicious of all the glowing reviews here by people who seem to have very few posts here. Anyone else notice this trend?

Possible reasons for that:
New Divers
Experienced divers that don't use the internet too much.
Readers of the board but rarely post just like me.

I live on the island and dive with Jads, top notch operation. BUT I haven't done any dives with other operators on Aruba.

I rarely post.

I love to dive. There is a difference between a good dive and a great dive. I don't post about good experiences only great ones and they are few and far between. I stand by my recommendation. Just for giggles it would be good to hear how the dives from the original poster turns out.

d.

I haven't posted in a while but can highly recommend Unique Sports of Aruba near the Radisson. Emmitt and his crew are top notch - my husband has gone out with them on our four trips to Aruba since 2004, and they are great with divers at all levels adn very consistent in quality and service. I've done snorkel trips with them - much better than the other cattle boats that run trips like DePalm. You can't go wrong with Unique - we are friends now as far as they are concerned, and that makes for a great experience.

I rarely post.

Just for giggles it would be good to hear how the dives from the original poster turns out.

d.

Hi All, Thanks for all the wonderful info!
Well, I just got back and I have to say I LOVE scuba diving!!!!!! I was secretly hoping I would hate this expensive sport, but I am hooked!

Soooo... I was debating between JADS and Unique (No Clive, I am not experienced enough). I went with Unique because it was closer and there was someone in my hotel that could book for me.

Unique was good. Their DM kept an eye on me even though my dive buddy didn't- won't dive with my friend again, had to chase her down a few times.

My first dive we went to Pernadales (sp? - it is in my book but to lazy to go get it). Newbie heaven. Not deep. Unfortunately, there was about 18+ on the boat, 1/2 were getting their OW certification. So the visibility quickly was reduced a bit, but it was still great. Jason (American DM) did a great job at pointing out things. I felt safe with him. He understood my nerves and checked my equipment set up. I did it right :D

Antilla was great, less people on the boat. Could have done without bad vibe chick who was spraying her sun screen all over me and others sitting next to her and kept leaving the group and had to be chased down by DM. Loved seeing the sea life under and around the boat.

Malmok (sp? again, to lazy to get book) Just ok during dive, very crowded site. Too many boats and groups. My buddy actually started following another group from a different boat (Bad buddy! Had to chase again). Saw some really big sea slugs. I also went snorkeling there with friends, saw squid grouping (cool how they line up), octopus and some kind of spotted snake/eel- Have no idea what it is-even after internet search (see photo).

Baby beach- snorkeling- lots of tourist walking all over the coral! Strong currents outside the cove. The fish are trained at the opening to look for people with fish food. Like me with my daughter. Fish food = Big swarm of a 50+ fish. Cool but seemed forced.

So in conclusion, I love diving, Unique had competent DMs that were good at calming my nerves and taking care of me. I would have liked smaller groups! Or gone to the less traveled sights- that comes with improving my skills.

Well it is late and I have to pack for my trip to CA- Kelp diving..... :D
Thanks again for all of the hand holding information! My nerves are now calm! I love Scuba!
Jifi -PS my dive instructor would have been proud... better than all the other newbies, if I say so myself :cheerleader: no buoyancy problems here.

Attachments

• P7300157.jpg
    P7300157.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 58
Malmok (sp? again, to lazy to get book) Just ok during dive, very crowded site. Too many boats and groups. My buddy actually started following another group from a different boat (Bad buddy! Had to chase again). Saw some really big sea slugs. I also went snorkeling there with friends, saw squid grouping (cool how they line up), octopus and some kind of spotted snake/eel- Have no idea what it is-even after internet search (see photo).

That's a sharptail eel (Myrichthys breviceps). It is common on the shallower sandy plateau.
The fish at the left is a small peacock flounder (Bothus lunatus).

For the doubter about the JADs raving, I have no ulterior motive. When I was there in Dec, I had only dived with JADs once and JP invited me to have Christas Eve dinner with his kinfolk (I did not go). When I went back a few weeks ago, he GAVE one of my buddies a Scubapro fin strap at no charge. I felt bad because we had been diving with Clive and did not do business with JADs this trip. I got hugs and friendliness just for stopping in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom