Aqualung Calypso J

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have working models of every calypso regulator from 1962-1975 (the whole vintage run), and I used them to prototype my rebuild kits. The ones with the plastic seats can be refinished. If you do not feel comfortable doing it, sign a waiver and mail your regulator to me and I'll rebuild it. All teflon backup rings and o-rings are standard sizes and can be located via the standard sources. When I rebuild them I use all FDA approved parts and refinish the seat. Given the fact that you can reverse the seat, you can pretty much use the same seat forever. If IP ever got too high from the loss of seat material (which I have never seen), you could always remove one or two of the piston shims that came with the regulator to lower IP. Later model Calypso IV regulators also feature a fine IP adjustment with the low pressure swivel. If you need parts or a rebuild, just PM me. If not, that's cool too.

Slonda

I agree with Slonda828. I have a Calypso VI for almost 30 years now, using it almost every week, down here in Flroida amd I still have the original HP seat. Just keep flipping the HP every year at overhaul time and for some reason it will be flat again a year from now. Never had air crepping out, nor unstable IP. Those regulators were built like a tank to last and last.

Miguelation

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but a friend of mine has one of these and asked me to look at it. The yoke screw knob and second stage purge have "Aqua-Lung Calyso J" decals. It appears to be a newer J model, has a swivel with 4 lp ports, big knob yoke screw and a 3000psi yoke.

What is the IP range? If anyone has a diagram for the second stage they could post here, it would be appreciated.

He is interested in selling it on eBay. How much could he expect?

Thank you,

Couv

Funny you should ask, an old official AL service manual just came into my possession and it's my first opportunity to open it up and find information.

According to the manual, the IP was 128psi with a 2000 lb tank. Since it's a balanced piston I doubt tank pressure makes much difference. The IP is increases with shims like SP piston regs. If it were mine, I would shim is up to whatever I set all the rest of my regs too (140 psi). The second stage is the classic style like 90 % of the seconds of the time, you will not have any trouble at all with it. Aswap seats will do nicely.

One more thing from the manual that you may find useful is the HP seat is removed by placing the tip of an air gun (bench type for blowing off items) against the HP and blowing it out from it's seat. It has a hole in the middle of it for this purpose. HP seats are no longer available but they are reversable so flipping it over is an option.

EDIT: new manual says to pull it out with an easyout

An eBay price is always a hard thing but it’s a lower enc amount, $15-25 would be my best guess.

Last edited:
:rofl3: Figures, I actually got 2 manuals, one a lot older than the other. The newer one has several differences in the reg including an upgrade to make the IP externally adjustable. If you remove the end hose/plug and look inside you will see (if it's the newer version) a hex key hole, that is the adjuster. Turning it out inceases IP, in decreases it. The manual goes on to say if you can not get the IP to 130psi then you need to dissamble the reg and add shims to the piston. Recommended tank pressure is 3000 psi in the newer manual.

Thanks Herman, I'll probably tear into it tomorrow.

Forgot to mention, Vintage Double hose has an old AL manual that you can down load. It is the older version of the J but from the piston inward it's the same.

How serendipitous! I'm in the process of restoring an old J :D

and I'll be rebuilding a 1st stage Calypso VI and a few 2nd stage Calypso VIs :)

Couv, Ed I now have the manuals and parts diaghrams for the J in PDF. Shoot me a PM with your email address if you want them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom