Computer recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnrph

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am recently back into diving after a prolonged absence and am looking to buy equipment. I have already purchased a wetsuit and regulator. I am basically a vacation diver and plan to dive 3-5 times per year, only need nitrox and download capabilities. I plan to buy a SPG and a wrist unit - not air integrated. Considering Vyper or Nitrek Duo.

Any ideas about this or other suggestions?

Thanks

I have the Nitek Duo. I've been very happy with it. It allows the usage of two gasses, it is very intuitive, it has a relatively conservative algoraitim. Frankly it is also large enough to use in cold water with gloves on. I would definately consider it easy to use and see.

Oddly though, I just received my new computer. I wanted one with a free dive mode that was a smaller watch size, for when I go down to the warm waters and I'm not wearing a lot of exposure protection.

You won't go wrong with the Duo.

I am not trolling or flaming, but this question gets asked a lot. I wonder if we should have a "sticky" written with the pros can cons of what to look for in a new dive computer.

I am not trolling or flaming, but this question gets asked a lot. I wonder if we should have a "sticky" written with the pros can cons of what to look for in a new dive computer.

Andy (Devon Diver) just wrote a pretty good one in another thread but I think the problem is that it's still about personal preference. Someone else in another thread recommended no wrist models because he's seen them come off easily and therefore recommends a console.

That's the opposite of the advice I and many others would give...same goes for AI, digital compass, etc.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea but....I think these questions are just the nature of the beast in a forum about dive computers.

The one that you can fully understand how to use would be my choice.

I see where gcbryan is coming from but I like this idea, too. I think it would be beneficial to have a stickie with details on the various algorithms. For example, I'm looking at getting a back-up/replacement computer. I've done some research online and it appears the one I'm looking at, Cressi Archimedes II, is a 'conservative' computer. OK, but just how conservative? :confused: Something that compares or illustrates the range between liberal and conservative would be great in this instance.

Well, it would be useful to have a breakdown of the various "choices":

- wrist or console (or HUD)
- air only, or nitrox (or, occasionally, helium)
- air integrated or not
- wireless or not
- user changeable battery or not
- relative conservatism
- price

and what divers should be thinking about in each case.

I see where gcbryan is coming from but I like this idea, too. I think it would be beneficial to have a stickie with details on the various algorithms. For example, I'm looking at getting a back-up/replacement computer. I've done some research online and it appears the one I'm looking at, Cressi Archimedes II, is a 'conservative' computer. OK, but just how conservative? :confused: Something that compares or illustrates the range between liberal and conservative would be great in this instance.

Most (not all) algorithms in recreational dive computers are a variation of the Buhlmann ZHL-16 C algorithm. How they implement it generally determines how "conservative or liberal" they are.

(I should add that Suunto computers are marketed as a variation of RGBM but it is not the full blown model. It's basically Buhlmann with some bubble modeling (deeper stops) added.

The actual problem is that none on them actually tell you what they're using exactly. They use phrases such as Neo Haldane, Buhlmann which are the same thing. There are a couple of the tech computers that do tell you exactly what they are using.

I have several computers...Oceanic Veo 200 and Tusa IQ-700. The Veo is liberal and the Tusa is conservative (comparable to a Suunto without all the excessive penalties). I believe the Cressi Archimedes II is the same computer as the Tusa IQ-700. I use the Veo in gauge mode as a backup.

If you dive with people who have Suunto computers you know that they are conservative but in most cases it's still reasonable. If they raise their arm too fast or do 1 minute of deco or some other minor act them using them quickly becomes unreasonable (in my opinion).

The computer you are looking at would match up nicely with a Suunto on a normal dive. It would not penalize as much as a Suunto for some of the minor acts I've mentioned.

I think you would like that computer.

Well, it would be useful to have a breakdown of the various "choices":

- wrist or console (or HUD)
- air only, or nitrox (or, occasionally, helium)
- air integrated or not
- wireless or not
- user changeable battery or not
- relative conservatism
- price

and what divers should be thinking about in each case.

It's a good idea. You should write up something and submit it as a stickie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom