YS-17 vs. YS-110a

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dchersels

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’d like to get your opinion on a strobe setup I’m intending to get. I’m currently using a Panasonic TZ7 (ZS3) with a Panasonic housing and was thinking of adding a Sea & Sea strobe to it.

I initially thought a about getting the YS-17, it’s quite cheap and portable. One of my friends however brought up a valid point: with the camera not being able to do Manual mode, I would need a strobe with a wider range of adjustments. The next option would thus be the YS-11a, but it costs almost twice as much as the YS-17.

The advantage of the YS-110a is that it would be able to fit many other rigs if I intend to upgrade in the future. But is the big jump really worth it?
Appreciate any thoughts on this.

I received real good advice a while back from Keri Wilk on this sort of decision. Buy a good strobe and you'll probably keep it through several camera changes. Cameras change features more often than strobes and t's more likely you'll be wanting to replace your present camera w/ a better one than you would want to replace a good flash. I bought a YS110A and really like it.

It has good coverage and output, is very easy to use and adjust, w/ fast recycle on NiMH batteries and is typically good for several hundred flashes on a fresh charge. (At 3 dives a day on a dive trip I haven't had to change batteries all day--and that's with some occassional use of the built-in aim light.) I know it's hard to justify the expense but you probably would never have to replace the YS-110A, even if you really got seriously into uw shooting, since t would always make a great second flash if you really needed it eventually!

The YS-17 is limited to 2 manual settings (vs 13 on the 110-A) plus it might always leave you with output envy (GN14 vs 22), not to mention the much narrower angle of coverage (53 x 70 degrees vs 105 x 105 deg.)...just my opinion of course. :eyebrow: Oh, and welcome to ScubaBoard! // ww

Hi WW,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm currently also leaning towards the YS-110a, glad to hear you are happy with yours. Will probably pick mine up over the weekend and test it next week in Sipadan :).

-DC

DC,

If you want TTL you will need to check that your Panasonic has pre-flash. Pre-flash is needed for both the YS-110a and the YS-17 to operate in TTL mode.
Definitely go for the YS-110a if you can afford it. I have both, use on different cameras. The YS-17 is fine for general macro, the additional power of the YS110a is necessary for the larger fish shots.

Cheers
Treb

Yes I'm with WWW & Treb the 110a is an excellent flash and I just bought one mainly as I have used SnS flashes for years and it has rarely given me problems. Still if you are going into that range you should also consider the Inon S2000 or D2000 for around the same price not sure what works best for your camera.

From reading other threads here it seems the 110 has some issues with some camera's so that is most probably not a cheaper option for you.

Hi guys,

Appreciate your input. I have a question though wrt Pre-Flash:
I've tried to search online and in the manual to verify if the camera has Pre-Flash, but its not explicitly stated. When using the flash, it does fire 2 flashes very close together (0.5 seconds or less). This is also not the Red Eye reduction function, it is pure forced flash. Is this an indication of Pre-Flash?

Thanks again for taking time to help.

dc,

I think preflash is too fast to pick up by eye. I had a look on the Sea&Sea web site, the YS110a info has a list of TTL compatible cameras and yours is not listed, but that does not mean it does not preflash.
Try posting a query on the ScubaBoard Sea&Sea forum, Mr Sea & Sea should be able to advise, he is usually pretty quick to respond.

Cheers
Treb

Contrary to what Treb is saying in my Panasonic FZ20 you can see the pre-flash happen. I have turned it off but yours may not be controllable.

I would take trebs advice and take it to SnS forum although, as it is a question of compatibility, he may be only able to quote what is 'in the book'.

Best would be if you can test it out yourself. An outside chance maybe the Panasonic group at DPReview. They could certainly tell you if the pre-flash can be switched off.

Great little camera BTW and I saw a report about the TZ3 which I suppose you have read Panasonic underwater housing review

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, appreciate it. I eventually bit the bullet and got the 110a. According to the folks on dpreview most digital cams these days have pre flash enabled by default.

And yes Ardy, I am very happy with the camera :). Very good colour reproduction and the HD video is actually quite usable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom