Buying Wetsuits can be a pain....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My budget is looking to be 200 maximum give or a take a little....Wouldn't getting custom made suit be more expensive?

Since you have tried on several wetsuits, you have an idea about the sizing. I would recommend going to Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online and check out what they have. They have some nice suits for great prices. Also, they will take a suit back if it doesn't fit. I had to do this once, so I know.

robin:D

You didn't mention, but have you asked any of the shops you visited what their return policy is? Many will still take the return if the ordered suit doesn't fit.

I was in the same boat. Unless you go with custom fit wetsuit (which is $$), the real issue is that you don't know how the wetuit fit until you get into water. Even if it fit snugged on land, you just don't know if water will rush in if you have movement under water. But once your get the wetsuit wet, even in pool, I highly doubt dive shop will let you return it. Trying out different rental wetsuit is the best way to test fit, but rental choice can be limited.

Having said that, I just picked up a new Pinnacle 7mm Elastiprene from scubatoys for $130. They are listed as "Elasta Strecth" in their websuit, but it is really Pinnacle elastiprene. The best way is to call them up and make sure order the right side.

Well, I have gone to a total of 5-6 shops and the last I tried was an aqualung with the extra stretchy fabric and it fit like a glove except there was a bit of extra fabric in the shoulders, but it wasn't that bad. It was a good prize too 150. I ordered some from leisurepro and if those don't work for me I might go for the aqualung. I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks for all the responses!

My custom wetsuit doesn't cost any more than a premium off-the-shelf wetsuit plus I have the advantage of it being tailored for me. Granted, it's more expensive but then it also uses better neoprene as well. Not all neoprenes are the same.

I had the same problem with Scubapro size M fitting everywhere except the arms. Tried Cressi and the size doesn't fit but found a perfect fit from the Camaro Stingray! You may want to try this semi-dry suit out too though I'm still considering due to the price :D

You guys really do make some strong points for having my own custom wet suit done. I would love nothing else but to have one tailored just for me. The comfort and fit must be great!! If the ones I ordered online don't fit just right I will do a custom suit because from the prices you guys are listing for a custom made one is not bad at all! Thanks for all your help!

I'm saving up for my custom Rubatex 7mm from Wetwear. The extra-stretchy off the shelf wetsuits, while giving a custom-like fit, aren't nearly as warm, and aren't as durable. My 3mm stretchy already has holes after only 85 dives.

Custom wetsuits, like everything else, cost as much or as little as you want them to cost. If you want a better 7mm neoprene then it's gonna cost more than the standard run-of-the-mill 7mm neoprene. If you want pockets, it's gonna cost more. If you want zippers everywhere, then it's gonna cost more. If you want a chest plate for resting your spear gun against for cocking, it's gonna cost more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom