PADI dropping dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am currently doing the PADI Nitrox course and it is all tables and calculations. We are not using computers at all. My Dive Director here in the UK says that he feels its better we all use the tables and can learn the computers later if we wish as its a better grounding. I actully agree with him. The computers will make it easier i believe but what happens if your computer goes down? Just a thought..... They are however changing from know as instructed to start to teach the computer/calculator and only are not issuing the tables any more merely the PADI Computer/calculator. it would of perhaps made it easier for me in all of my training so far, especially kniow as i am doing the Nitrox course which is all calculations etc as you all know..... I could wish for a quicker and easier option right know to help me in my future exam..... any help.......?

One thing I know about computers, they crash. Period. I'm not a PADI diver and call me stupid if you will, but give me a set of tables any day. (I've been using both the British Admiralty and US Navy decompression tables for close to 50 years, maybe that's why I'm still around to write this).

Rex

Last edited:
It's hard to believe anyone would just scrub their dives because their computer stopped working.

The way I look at it, if both my computers die, then I want to get the hell out of the water so I can kick and scream and cry!!! :D If I am diving with somebody and they want to call the dive for ANY reason, then we happily call the dive. I have no problem with somebody wanting to call the dive because of equipment failure no matter what piece of equipment it is.

One thing I know about computers, they crash. Period. I'm not a PADI diver and call me stupid if you will, but give me a set of tables any day. (I've been using the British Admiralty or US Navy decompression tables for close on 50 years, maybe that's why I'm still around to write this).

Rex

An electronic bottom timer is a computer, just without the decompression computations. It can crap out just like any other electronic device.

So I hope your using a watch.......well, nevermind....I've seen plenty of watch repair stores. See what I'm steppin in? Yeah a computer can crash. Everything can break, though, and you need something to monitor that bottom time and depth and it can break too......

I'd keep searching for the reason on why you're still alive. I highly doubt it's because you dive US Navy tables, which are generally regarded as aggressive compared to what tables are available today.

I think eventually all serious divers end up with computers, but I prefer table training for a few reasons:
1. As stated, good straightforward model for teaching decompression theory, nitrogen loading, residual nitrogen, etc
2. Most new divers, in my experience, buy their gear first without a computer (already a big investment), diving conservatively with tables for a while, all the while getting used to their gear and comfort with buoancy control, gas management, etc, then see the value of a computer and get one. They are great training wheels for a beginning diver, to allow them to get some basic conservative dives under their belts before spending another $300-500 for a computer.
3. As stated, they are a low-tech, inexpensive back-up to computer failure. I have definitely used them to save dives - yes less bottom time, but not zero bottom time.
and,
4. I would not want to dive with someone who's OW training of nitrogen loading, residual nitrogen effects, etc. consisted of how to push a button and rely on the info on a piece of electronics. Don't forget that besides turning off, computer failure can also consist of displaying wildly incorrect data. Basic knowledge of standardized tables allows recognition of this, rather than just blindly relying on electronics.

Oh, and,
5. So many different computers with such varying algorithms- which is right? Based on what? The RDP is at least a standard accepted foundation from which to start.

First: I think very important for a diver to understand how a computer works so learning the tables may be intellectually important.

Second: I never use tables underwater and I never dive a square dive. So I use my Archimede.

Third: Breaking down, crash...Yes...Like every human things...No? And In two LDS it was not possible to buy depth gauge and timer (not electronic ) they simply said: "Ho, we've not that, we sell so rarely..."

Conclusion: I suppose that PADI will make "lighter" the table training to be more realist. And I suppose that too: maybe it is only a rumor...

British Admiralty or US Navy decompression
I hope you are in the tested group...Young, males, athletes, fit, overtrained and less old than 25 years. If not, those tables or de RDP...I choose the second.

Kindly.

With the eRDP why would you want tables, I haven't looked at mine since I bought the eRDP. I use a dive computer but still use the eRDP to plan all my dives!

that is about as stupid as telling a pilot that since we have gps and auto pilot he doesn't need to learn stick rudder and compass...

With the eRDP why would you want tables, I haven't looked at mine since I bought the eRDP. I use a dive computer but still use the eRDP to plan all my dives!

Yeah... they work so well when they're WET too... :eyebrow:

that is about as stupid as telling a pilot that since we have gps and auto pilot he doesn't need to learn stick rudder and compass...
Not even close as it has nothing to do with the skill of diving. It's more like learning to use a fuel gauge rather than a dip stick and guessing. :D

Back
Top Bottom