Beer and Coke Please! Bottle Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tokashikibob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It’s that time of year for bottle prospect’in! Around these parts of the tidal rivers of the N.C. Coast you have about a month were the water clears up enough to actually see a few feet around on the bottom. Then around mid November the water at least for me gets too cold to jump in.
If you have a old town in the area well…. it’s time to look for bottles, fishing rods, and the big ticket items are the old 1900’s turn of the century Cokes and Pepsi’s. There are also tons of old medicines’ , elixirs and if you’re really lucky maybe a 1700-1800’s whisky flask but,…. they are usually broken.

After leaving work, I shot to my favorite spot were bottles litter the bottom. Conditions looked good as I drove the Buick Grand National down the Hwy staying off the turbo so the Sheriff doesn’t gun me down. The only thing that would ruin the dive would be fishermen or the tide ripping through the tidal river.

As I got to the dock, the tide was slack. All conditions were go! Water was cool and the fishing pier was empty so, after deploying my diver down buoy I shoot down the 20 ft or so and found conditions on the bottom superb with 3 ft of vis. I starting running around piling up known crappy bottles in piles and putting in possibles in the bag. After three runs back to the breakwater to empty the bag I started to sort what I had and fortunately I had what I came for. Sure enough after a little cleaning a mint 1900 PBR beer bottle and a bubble blown early 1900 Coca Cola were in the pile among a few other keepers. What a way to end a day! Yowzaa!

Bob

Attachments

• DSC00837.JPG
    DSC00837.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00831.JPG
    DSC00831.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 63
Hi,

Welcome to SB! That is quite a find! Something completely unusual! I like it! The most interesting thing I have found underwater was a snorkel with an octopus in it!

Safe Dives!

I'm going to try again today as the weather has finally broke. Also the Water temp is going down so I only have a week or two max before it's over for bottles!

What's the water temp there on East coast ? West is about 47. Are you diving wet ? and where do you find info about old bottles ? I have found a few but can't ID. Thanks, Adrian.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom