Fossil hunting dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutch552

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My work schedule has changed and I am going to have a lot more time open to dive again soon. I want to start taking road trips to SC to dive for teeth as it seems a rewarding and challenging type of diving. What setups are you guys using or seeing used on the Cooper River and similar waterways? Particularly insterested in which Regs, BC and exposure protection to bring with me. Thanks.

Hello Adam,

I have dove the Cooper maybe 100 times.

If you visit my social group named the "Charleston SC Scuba Club", you will find quite a bit of information (and video) on diving the Cooper River and areas around Charleston SC. The link is below. If you need advice on hotels, I can advise you in that area. I have quite a few of the river dive boat operations listed with links to the websites.

Diving for teeth is addictive. I can't explain it. It just is. I found many years ago that diving for teeth and treasures is NOT about diving. It becomes about the people and the obsessions for finding stuff.

Diving black water is creepy at first. What you find is that once you get to the bottom and lay on the bottom with your powerful flashlight, you start to calm down. Laying on the bottom has a significant calming effect. This works in the ocean also.

A 3mm suit if fine for the summer months. A 5mm suit works for the late fall and very early spring. The guys from the northern states bring drysuits.

During the colder months a hood, gloves, and warm water poured into the suit helps quite a bit.

Some people weight themselves a little heavier than usual. If the current is slow, this is unnecessary. Sometimes it helps to carry something (like a large screwdriver) to stick into the bottom to hold you in one place. Again, this depends on the current.

Lighting is a big deal when diving black water. Take many lights. The more powerful the better. Take backups and backup batteries.

Any basic BC and regulator are fine. Nothing special needed.

Stay in the gravel beds. Work the gravel beds. Look for gray, pasty, clay. Look for large fragments of bone and tooth. Stay in front of the boat so you can float back to it upon surfacing.

The teeth in the photo are teeth I found in the Cooper River. I found the one on the right this past summer. The one on the left I found a few years back. It is what they call a rare copper colored Angustiden. It has quality and value to a collector of around $450

tooth.jpg

Adam might go with you but I can not plan any dive trips at the current time. I have Willmington NC on my schedule for next year. I will be diving the Cooper River and Venice Florida again next season also. I may get up to Morehead NC. Definitely headed to the Carribean for some easy photo shoots next year.

Thank you all so much for the information. Actually my new work schedule entails me working Saturdays and Sundays starting in December so I will have 5 days a week off to make the drive down to SC and do some diving/collecting. I've been all over the Carribean and quarries throught the Midwest but diving the dark waters of the Cooper really have me excited.

Here is some contact info on the two boats that I personally use the most. Phil has logged thousands of hours on the bottom of the Cooper River. Both of these guys deliver. They will advise you on every aspect of diving the river. You will not be disappointed with either.

Johnny Cercopely at Cooper River Dive Charters

Phil Myers at Back Water Diversions

I've got a trip with 3 days of Meg Tooth diving and an optional day of wreck diving beginning on Friday, November 20th. Currently, there are two spots left and they can be reserved by calling (302) 355-0642 or email me at myscuba@comcast.net.

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 470
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom