Potentual Third Year Product Design Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An enhanced underwater vision system sounds like a great idea! i remember deep dives where the light is so feint and colourless. The thing about using a device which can be attacked to a mask is good but as masks are in all shapes and sizes it will have to be adjustable, an Auto shutter could be used to protect the device from being damaged by extreme light at the surface, this could be activated with a light sensor, the light sensor could also control the amount of NIR light picked up making it brighter the deeper you go.

Seems like a great Idea for the Marines or Navy, I think people that dive for personal reasons might not want to see in IR as you lose the colours, but as i said earlier if you go deep enough you don't see the colours anyway. This product could be used for very deep dives, night dives or even professional tasks underwater.

Going beep beep beep might irritate your buddy haha, imaging having to listen to a truck backing up every time you stopped to look at something.

Thanks guys, this is a great help

Significantly reduce or eliminate the weight of the scuba tank

Not sure if its possible due to the amount of pressure of air that is stored. There is a new tech being developed that can extract the O2 from water, soon we wont need tanks any more and this will allow us more freedom and extended dive times.

Im not sure if it has been done but are there any BCD's with specially design air pockets to stop the air moving around inside. I remember one dive all the air in my BCD moved to one side and put me off balance.

Also what about a new weight belt? Ive always thought it could be better, perhaps the same fastening mechanism they use in aircraft's. Faster release and less likely to fall off during a dive...

Thanks again

GPS you would have to figure out how to reproduce and broadcast the GPS time code in a 3 point underwater transmitter you would also need to broadcast current transmitter location for the triangulation of the receiver to work. If you had it tuned fine enough the transmitter unit could be fairly small and mounted to a board only a few feet big, or it could be 3 or more buoys that are dropped in the water and recovered later.

This is why we spend $1500 on a "underwater flashlight":D

True, the output from an NIR vision system would be either monochrome or some false colour scheme since there are no visual analogues for invisible light. The benefit of an NIR system would be being able to see, rather than seeing in colour.

To all those who use expensive HID lights - consider that even with a colour temperature equivalent of 5000K (see http://www.techmind.org/colour/colourtemperatureannotated.png), about 5% of the light is emitted in the ultravoilet and about 40% is emitted in the NIR. What this means is that a hybrid visible-NIR sensor can see more of your HID flashlight beam (reflected off a wall or fish), even without amplification. For those poor folk who use lower temperature (incandescent) beams, more than 80% of the light is emitted in the NIR. Please note that diode flashlights may or may not emit significantly in the NIR.

In addition to being able to see more of the light emitted from your flashlight, an NIR system could be used to observe fish at night without disturbing their natural behaviour if you use a suitable short wavelength cutoff filter on your flashlight, or a NIR light source (such as an NIR diode). In these cases the illumination is invisible to the fish (and to you), but not to the sensor.

Finally, NIR scatters less in water than does visible light. This means that your beam will travel further.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom