Hello, I'm looking for divers to take part in my dissertation project.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a retired naval officer I spent plenty of time on ships in 25 knot winds and 8 foot swells/waves or more.....I don't care how big the dive boat is or how many crew members you have, that sea state is not going to make for a good or safe time on or in the ocean. As a dive professional, the way the scenario is presented, I would inform my dive buddy that I choose to not go out even if the dive center was willing to take their boat out.

-Z
I was no cake eater :wink: but I also am a Navy Veteran. I agree that the dive probably should be thumbed but I have to look at all the possibilities here and for me, I would choose to not dive based on lack of information. However, if we want to look at how we manage risks via risk assessment, I think we need to see that there are missing pieces of information here and examine all possibilities.

I was no cake eater :wink: but I also am a Navy Veteran. I agree that the dive probably should be thumbed but I have to look at all the possibilities here and for me, I would choose to not dive based on lack of information. However, if we want to look at how we manage risks via risk assessment, I think we need to see that there are missing pieces of information here and examine all possibilities.

From an operational risk management perspective, there is always missing information. Effective decision making with regards to risk management is to consider the information at hand and make the best decision for the scenario despite the fact there may be unknowns.

At the naval war college we were taught to formulate and execute the "good enough" plan as the "perfect plan" will almost never materialize.

For recreational diving, my decision making paridigm has me making judgement calls where I am erring on the side of caution....hence why it is clear, *for me*, that the dive in scenario 1 is non-sequitur.

-Z

So much for an unbiased survey. Oh well. Nice try, OP.

So much for an unbiased survey. Oh well. Nice try, OP.
The danger of using a "discussion" forum to solicit input is that folks might actually "discuss" the topic within.

-Z

The danger of using a "discussion" forum to solicit input is that folks might actually "discuss" the topic within.

-Z
Yes, that's clearly the issue. Sometimes it is better to hold your fire.

The OP could have also put in the original post to please do not discuss the survey. Discussing is what we do best here 😂

Reactions: Zef

Back
Top Bottom