Hello, technical diver developing diving apps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why?
Isn’t the point of being underwater to escape all that?
Because I dont always deco in the same place I enter the water so I need something that stands up. Plus whats wrong with music as you deco?

Reactions: OTF
I would settle for no sound, or whatever sound a phone could put out on max volume, or a bluetooth speaker in a box, or headphones that were limited to some shallow depth where most deco would occur anyway.
But they have to go via depths to get to shallow.

A couple of bone conduction pads that could be stuffed under your hood would be great.

Then there’s controlling the MP3 player.

Shearwater— please help us here!

Why?
Absolutely.

However, being stuck at deco for hours can go faster if you had a talking book, podcasts, whatever.

Reactions: OTF
Why?
Music is funny. To me it's just mostly noise pollution. To my wife and kids they feel it, it's like they can get "in tune" with it. It's essential to their soul. I've never been like that.

Now the ability to listen to some talk radio / podcast on deco? Sign me up!

So much for staying OT, lol... OP asks for apps and we all say build an underwater mp3 player:rofl3:

I would settle for no sound, or whatever sound a phone could put out on max volume, or a bluetooth speaker in a box, or headphones that were limited to some shallow depth where most deco would occur anyway.
An iPhone in a Divevolk case loaded with movies/tv series/books clipped to the 70’ or 20’ bottle works wonders and sound is quite clear if the team is on rebreathers and is tolerable on open circuit.

An iPhone in a Divevolk case loaded with movies/tv series/books clipped to the 70’ or 20’ bottle works wonders and sound is quite clear if the team is on rebreathers and is tolerable on open circuit.
What I don't want to hear on deco is someone else's idea of entertainment, musical or otherwise.

Hence "headphones" are needed.

There's that odd "brick" thing which is aimed at snorkellers to tell them depth, etc. It's held under the mask strap and talks to you. It's a kickstarter product. Discussed here:

If only there was a pipe leading to another "speaker" for the other "ear"

What I don't want to hear on deco is someone else's idea of entertainment, musical or otherwise.
Find sites with fewer non teammates :wink:

Who doesn’t love a full rewatch of Jaws at your 6m and 3m stops

At the moment I only have one app published for Android, with different calculations: MOD, NDL, TOD, END, SAC, EAD, Gas density, Best gas mix.
The concept of "best" gas mix is obsolete for routine technical diving. We use standard mixes for defined depth ranges which simplifies logistics and obviates the need to calculate MOD, END, EAD, or gas density. Of course, every tech diver must understand those concepts and be able to do the math if necessary, but it's just not an issue for the dives that most of us here do.

But don't let me discourage you. Building simple apps can be a great way to learn new coding skills.

The concept of "best" gas mix is obsolete for routine technical diving. We use standard mixes for defined depth ranges which simplifies logistics and obviates the need to calculate MOD, END, EAD, or gas density. Of course, every tech diver must understand those concepts and be able to do the math if necessary, but it's just not an issue for the dives that most of us here do.

But don't let me discourage you. Building simple apps can be a great way to learn new coding skills.
Unless we mix our own?
Or got a top-up mix?
Or the dive site's changed?
Or there wasn't enough O2/He?
Or aren't that bothered about standard mixes and just get on with what we have?

Kind of pragmatism usurping determinism.

Unless we mix our own?
Or got a top-up mix?

^ increasingly and thankfully less and less common as education and quality of education broadens, especially in terms of things like gas density

Unless we mix our own?
Or got a top-up mix?

It is precisely due to those issues that sticking with standard gasses is a better approach to real world tech diving. I have done enough gas blending to know that using the same few mixes every time is easier and reduces the risk of errors. That applies regardless of whether you're mixing from scratch with empty tanks or topping off. The standard mixes have pretty wide safe depth ranges so changing dive sites is no problem. Standards mixes also make it easier to change dive buddies since you can expect everyone to bring the same mix and won't need to make individual accommodations. Much more pragmatic.

As for not having enough O2/He, I don't understand that at all. Let's get the logistics squared away first, then go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom