Shark deterrent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do ya'll do to stay safe? I have seen teh shark sheild for $700 but would like to know if there is something cheaper and works while spear fishing? thanks

Yes, a good pair of fins. Remember, you don't have to out-swim the shark, just your buddy... :)

You looked them up? What did you do? Look in the mirror? Tard. I'm sure the other knuckle-dragger flogging your turbulator is you, or your cousin Skeeter.

Why don't you post this article about the fisherman whose live was saved by your magnet? And what was the fishermen doing that he needed a hunk of ceramic magnet to save his life? Swimming with sharks, or needed to break off the top of his bud light?

I'm sorry you missed out on the magnetic golf bracelet phenomenon, but go peddle your 'powerful magnets' crap at the flea market.

If anyone spearfishing (this is the spearfishing forum) gets sucked into using your product which 'may prevent the final attack' thinking your product is legit, Darwin will give them an achievement award.

Don't know anything about the product being marketed, but there have been positive results with RARE EARTH Magnets:

Rare earth magnets as a means to reduce shark bycatch. | NSW Department of Primary Industries

The problem is that "rare earth" materials are also being used in hybrid automobiles, making the rare earth, rarer (is that even a word LOL?). If this guy is using the right magnets then maybe his product would have some effect, but I'd want to know what his materials were before taking it seriously.

Imwright 1985,

Great idea! We utilize the anchor rope and attach the lift bag with a brass clip. The conveyor belt idea is brilliant! Though I wonder if it would take too much time for it to go up, get unloaded, reattached, and then sent back down?

You don't need a shark shield... Just strap a big honkin' 19" David Stroke Bowie knife to your leg, and cut the bad boy in half if he comes near your catch...

Especially if it's not Saturday... Stay away from those wrecks on weekdays...

just a .223 powerhead seems to work for me... if i hit a shark with that thats the end.

Hypothetically, if you had an open gash on your forearm and you put it into the water long enough, hoping to attract a shark, one finally came and bit into your arm, if you shot a taser into the water, either at the shark or by the shark would the amplified voltage be enough to knock out the shark or what do you think would happen?

Any info or opinions would be appreciated, my real goal is to know whether a taser would work as a effective shark deterrent. Also would the voltage have any effect on the boats motor(s) assuming that the electric current would be expanded due to the water.

So then, Are we to assume that you are still in the water at this point?
Because if you are, I'm thinking that this will end with the shark feasting on a freshly drown corpse.
Electricity, water and diving really don't make for a good combination.

snapshot20070302205505.jpg

Can't go wrong with these.

Back
Top Bottom