New spear tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalik

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last month I tried to spear a 34 - 38 inch amberjack. Even with new bands and a fairly good shot from 8-9 feet the spear didnt go all the way thru and I lost the fish. So I went down stairs to the machine shop and fabricated this new head. I havent tried it on a fish yet but I know what a broadhead will do to a deer. Here is the results of my labor. Let me know what you guys think pro or con.

Attachments

• Belize 084.jpg
    Belize 084.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 81
I know someone that tried something similar and wasn't too pleased. After 1 shot it tears the broadhead up pretty badly so its kinda like 1 shot and done. Sounds like your gun might be the problem. I have shot up to 100 pound AJ's from over 20ft and stoned them. I use a 57" Wong with 5/16 in shaft and 3 bands and it has more than enough power to take down any AJ's or cobia. I also prefer a detachable spear tip or a slip tip. I find that with fixed tips I tend to break more shafts. Good luck with the tip and let us know if you do like it.

Sometimes you do everything right and still lose a fish. It might matter where you hit him, but not knowing the length of your gun I would say you were too far away. I like to touch the fish with my spear before I pull the trigger :D Seriously though. I've learned not to take a shot if the fish is more than double the length of my shaft from the tip of my spear, so 8ft at the absolute furthest (on my 48" gun) and I really only like to pull if they are one shaft or closer, especially if they are a big fish or amberjack. I know that might sound difficult, but you can get your tip within 12" of a fish.

I personally hate slip-tips. I've lost snapper with those things because they make a bigger hole, and lighter fish won't always deploy the slip function. Now if I was targeting 100# fish, then I would switch back, but I'm happy with the smaller guys :wink:

I would recommend a tri-cut tip. Be sure to give it the once-over before each trip, and sharpen it if necessary. It really makes a difference to have a razor-sharp tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom