Going to Grand Cayman June 16-25. Dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty

Reaction score
I want a good dive shop but I don't want a cattle boat. I have never been diving on one with more than 7 people before and I didn't even like that. I love the dive master to myself I guess. You can stay down a lot longer that way. I am staying at Morritts Tortuga. What is a shop that is the most reasonable also? Some are 20 bucks a day higher than others I see. Please give some recommendations. Thanks.

The dive shop at Morritt's Tortuga Club is Tortuga Divers (I work there) which is a part of Red Sail Sports with locations around the island. The capacity on Tortuga's boats is more than just the 7 or so you are looking for. Same is true for the other East End operators, Cayman Dive Lodge and Ocean Frontiers.

Strategies for diving East End with smaller boat loads include diving the afternoon dives and/or diving on weekends. Boat loads are usually much lighter on Saturdays. Red Sail Sports' shop at Rum Point is not a far drive and may have smaller boat loads on some days - no guarantees. Rum Point dives the North Wall - not East End.

There are a few operators around the west side of the island that max out at about 8 divers. It's a bit of a drive to get there from Morritt's (about an hour), but if boat size is your determining factor you might look there.

I guess boat size is not my only determining factor I guess. I would like small but if that is not to be had than I will take what I can get. I do like a good bargain and some have better deals than others. I want about 8 -10 dives. What part is best to dive at? Please help. Are shore dives a thing to do here? What kind of price can you get with that? Where is the best shore diving in GC? I just want to go under the water and swim with the fishes. Thanks.

The 2 other dive shops in East End are Cayman Diving Lodge and Ocean Frontiers - all 3 dive shops dive the same area, all run safe and professional operations. CDL and OF may be a little less expensive and normally limit to smaller groups. OF has a shuttle that will pick you up right from your hotel. Shore diving is good, but very limited to only a few sites and very weather permitting. Not the best/easiest place to go for your first shore dives ever- June is often a calm time of year.

Cayman Dive Lodge has two boats, and often take both of them out in the mornings to keep the groups smaller (usually 8-10 divers on boats that can handle 16). In addition, they put two DMs in the water, so if the group is a little bigger, they are still split up during the dive. They also throw in lunch with the 2-tank morning dives, and usually serve very good food.

My in-laws have a time share at Morritt's, and when we stay there, we still dive CDL. The divemasters are great fun, as well as very professional. We will be staying at Morritt's and diving CDL March 13-20 as a matter of fact.

IMO, driving to the other side of the island will get very tiresome. I would try out one of the East End operators first - you can always drive over to the other side if you find you don't like them.

I have looked at Ocean Frontiers. So they are a good and reputable place you say. I think that they give better package deals. Can you tell my why OF would be a better choice than CDL. Or would it be worth the extra money to dive with CDL?

Send an email with your dates of travel to each of the shop(s) you are considering. The best deal is not always listed online since web pages are not always current and demand varies throughout the year. I can provide info for Tortuga by PM if you'd like.

East End is the best diving on Grand Cayman, IMHO. The corals are healthy and vibrant and the walls are steep with soaring drops. Still most East End diving is boat diving.

Shore diving is a popular option on the west side of Grand Cayman.
You can plan to combine some of the west side shore dives with other attractions. There is a dive shop with an excellent shore dive next door to the Turtle Farm. Several shops are close to Georgetown for catching a dive between shopping stops. I like to check the cruise ship schedule before going into Georgetown to try to pick a day that isn't a total zoo.

Fewer sites are accessible as shore dives on East End and dive operators are not at those sites. Reaching East End sites involves crossing private property and some land owners have closed off access to the easiest points. :( Summer offers the best conditions for making the East End shore dives.

You can always plan to do a little snorkeling for some quality fish watching. The dock area where you are staying attracts an abundance of fish life that is considered one of the better sites on Grand Cayman. Everything from silverside minnows to tarpon in just 4ft of water congregate under the Morritt's dock.

I would like a price quote of some kind from any shops. Be there june 16-25 and would like 8-10 dives. What kind of packages do you have for that????

Scotty,
There's a small dive shop with the 7 Mile Beach Resort on West Bay Rd. The dive shop is called 7 Mile Watersports and caters mostly to the guests at the resort. They are a PADI shop and have a nice boat and rarely take out more than 7 divers, 4-5 is about average. Their prices are reasonable. They go to the North Wall almost exclusively. Check out their website at www.7milediver.com or 7mile.ky for prices.

HI Scotty,

I recently visited in Sept...and I have to say I'm jealous, I definetly have to go back this year.

Anyway, I had many people tell me to ensure that I dove the North shore. Their reasoning was that I would see larger critters there.
So, of course, that is exactly what I did. Amazing and Beautiful would be my description. On the first day I saw 6 large turtles, 5 Eagle Rays, tons of Cudas and a Nurse Shark under a reef ledge (sing to the tune of the Twelve Days of Christmas). It only got better from there!

I used FishEye (suggested by the same people) and they were great, most trips we had 5-8 people and 2 DM's in the water with us pointing out the highlights. They gave as much or as little guidance as was requested.

http://fisheye.com/

From what I heard while I was there, there really aren't any bad ops on the island.

Whatever you do, enjoy...and don't forget to give us a trip report when you get home.

Check out Lone Star (in front of the Hyatt I think) for those nights when you want a cheap and good meal.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom