Grand Cayman for unimpressed newbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I have been diving all around the world for 20 years. We convinced a friend and her son to try diving, so they completed PADI OW in Nassau.

As we began preparing for our first dive trip together as a group, she confided to me: "I'm not impressed. I don't get this 'diving" thing." To be sure, their diving to date has been pathetic; first some quarry diving and then OW in Nassau. Pretty lame, and not very pretty.

So I am hoping to take them somewhere with great, warm, and easy diving in Early December. We want somewhere that's easy for travel, too. Our friend is older (50s) and not athletic, so we need to be gentle with her.

Little Cayman would be magnificent, but I've been there three times and I HATE CAYMAN AIRWAYS.

I'd love to take them to Coz but I think they'd be in over their heads for their first trip.

We haven't been to Grand Cayman yet. Is that a good choice?

If Grand Cayman is a good choice, which side of the island would be great for newbies?

Thank you

Caribbean destinations we have already visited
Cozumel
Tulum
Roatan
Belize
Little Cayman
Providenciales & Grand Turk
Bonaire
Andros & Nassau

I think GC is a great choice. I’d recommend staying on the west side, most dive ops operate and pick up there. Lots of easy shore dives too with food and drink on site. I think new divers would love it.

Roatan? I haven't gone diving there, but the diving next door in Guanaja is amazing. Roatan should be similar, and easier for newbies.

Roatan? I haven't gone diving there, but the diving next door in Guanaja is amazing. Roatan should be similar, and easier for newbies.
Roatan would be perfect, but we've already been there, the mosquitos are HORRENDOUS, and it's a bit tricky (and $$$) to fly to compared to, say, Cozumel.

Reactions: L13
I have been to Gcm many times over the course of many years. I have also taken new divers to Gcm, bon and cur. Gcm would be ok, I would pass on bon with the rinse protocols in place and cur would be on the top of my list.

If Gcm is your choice west side of the island a good choice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom