Freedom Plate or Dive Rite Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a Freedom Plate and 18# Oxycheq wing on a recent trip to Cozumel. Prior to this I have been diving a Zeagle back inflate BC or back in the day a plastic plate and harness. I began looking for a rig that was streamlined and comfortable. After some searching, I bought a plate from Eric.

I found the plate to be very comfortable to wear and had no problems with adjusting the harness. I agree that since the plate and wing are not attached, there is some awkwardness in keeping the parts together transporting the wing on and off the dive boat, but I think a zip tie or some bungee or other method to hold the parts together for transport will make things easier on the next trip.

I put two of the XS Scuba pouches on the waist band instead of using a weight belt (3 pounds in each pouch). I will probably not do this again since it makes things just a bit too awkward to carry. Next time a weight belt will replace the pouches.

Marking the harness at the points where it threads through the waist area made readjustment easy, although next time using some keepers on the harness should prevent the webbing from moving.

What impressed me most is how comfortable the plate is in and out of the water. With the waist belt cinched down, there was no noticeable movement while diving. Next time I do plan to try the crotch strap to see if it adds anything to overall stability.

Simplicity is its own elegance in the design of this plate! Nice work Eric.
JR

I saw the new Scubapro Light Hawk this weekend. It is in many respects a plastic version of the freedom plate integrated with a back inflate wing. It would make a great travel BC and, priced in nthen $300 range, it is also very cost effective.

I used a Freedom Plate and 18# Oxycheq wing on a recent trip to Cozumel. Prior to this I have been diving a Zeagle back inflate BC or back in the day a plastic plate and harness. I began looking for a rig that was streamlined and comfortable. After some searching, I bought a plate from Eric.

I found the plate to be very comfortable to wear and had no problems with adjusting the harness. I agree that since the plate and wing are not attached, there is some awkwardness in keeping the parts together transporting the wing on and off the dive boat, but I think a zip tie or some bungee or other method to hold the parts together for transport will make things easier on the next trip.

I put two of the XS Scuba pouches on the waist band instead of using a weight belt (3 pounds in each pouch). I will probably not do this again since it makes things just a bit too awkward to carry. Next time a weight belt will replace the pouches.

Marking the harness at the points where it threads through the waist area made readjustment easy, although next time using some keepers on the harness should prevent the webbing from moving.

What impressed me most is how comfortable the plate is in and out of the water. With the waist belt cinched down, there was no noticeable movement while diving. Next time I do plan to try the crotch strap to see if it adds anything to overall stability.

Simplicity is its own elegance in the design of this plate! Nice work Eric.
JR

I'm looking to buy that exact set up very soon. That really looks like a great warm water rig, which is what I want it for. Where would you place the zip ties?

How much weight did you use on your previous Zeagle BCD? I'm just trying to get an idea of what my weighting would be after switching from a Scuba Pro Knighthawk, where I use 16 lbs with a 3 mil on to the BP/W using the Freedom plate?

Thanks for the report.

Jim

I'm looking to buy that exact set up very soon. That really looks like a great warm water rig, which is what I want it for. Where would you place the zip ties?

How much weight did you use on your previous Zeagle BCD? I'm just trying to get an idea of what my weighting would be after switching from a Scuba Pro Knighthawk, where I use 16 lbs with a 3 mil on to the BP/W using the Freedom plate?

Thanks for the report.

Jim

The ranger I had was min +3 and the FP is ~ -4. I was using 18lbs for a 7mm/HP100, and now I'm ok with 10.
I also use the 2 XS pockets. I add and remove them when carrying the rig. But it is very easy. I use the 'detachable' version on the left to avoid removing the buckle and knife. for the right side, I have it behind the light, all locked with a buckle as well.
The very good thing is all is adjustable.

As I'm diving many suit configs (a 3mm, a 7mm, a 7mm+7mm vest, and soon a dry as well), the flexibility of the FP with the harness adjustment is a wonderful plus.
When using the 7+7mm config, at 100ft, the compression is such that I have to readjust the harness. This is made very easy with the FP.

I haven't done it yet, but i will have a hole done to fix the wing very soon. I wanted to find the best wing position for the setup I'm using the most.

I had an opportunity to dive a Halcyon rig recently, but without the cinch. It was not a 100% fit. It could for sure have been done, but then, once per suits config. Or need the cinch.
Also it confirms again the feeling about the shape of the FP, which gives you the impression it fits better aroud your back.
It is true you can place a large SMB between your back and the plate) with standard plates, not with the FP. So I'd use a smaller one and put it in the suit pockets.

I think it is a very comfortable warm water rig ... as far where to place the zip ties, I would thread them through the camband slots, although bungee might be a better option. With the Zeagle, I used about 12 pounds of weight and six with the Freedom Plate. With six pounds, I am a bit heavy, but I will fine tune that on the next trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom