It should not be this hard to find insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned above, DiveAssure is Primary Insurance - this is big as you don't want to be on the hook for treatment abroad, then wait for the insurance carrier to reimburse you.

I've been using Dive Assure for years, sign my students up for free student diver coverage and am very happy with the service.

As mentioned above, DiveAssure is Primary Insurance - this is big as you don't want to be on the hook for treatment abroad, then wait for the insurance carrier to reimburse you.
It is true that DAN dive insurance is secondary to other possible coverages one might have, while Dive Assure dive insurance is primary, but I do not think that means that you can't face the need to pay and seek reimbursement, not at all, in fact their site says otherwise. Excerpting...
DiveAssure Scuba Diving Insurance | DiveAssure Programs | Emergencies and Claims
Claims for medical expenses reimbursement:
Contact Chartis Insurance Claims Services to obtain the appropriate claim form. Obtain receipts from the providers of service, etc., stating the amount paid and listing the diagnosis and treatment.

NOTE: Problems of distance, information and communication make it impossible for Travel Guard to assume any responsibility for the availability, quality, use or result of any emergency service. In all cases, you are still responsible for obtaining, using and paying for your own required services of all types.
In many clinics confirmed DAN coverage may be accepted by a clinic without payment, or DAN is willing to advance payments if needed, and this may be true of Dive Assure as well - but I don't know. As you can see from the quote above, it's not as guaranteed as you suggested.

Dive Assure insurance may be great for some, if they live one of the 45 states in which it's offered or DC. There is some confusion on whether it is offered in some countries. It's not in Mexico or Belize for example, but for the Caymans - one page says not, one page says sure?

But do be sure you have one or the other, altho the cheapest DAN plan is inadequate - but too many of their members say that's all they want - to supplement other coverages I suppose, but get the middle plan at least; worth the extra $10/yr. If you like Dive Assure, get their middle plan at least; worth the extra $20/yr.

Last edited:
Dive Assure insurance may be great for some, if they live one of the 45 states in which it's offered or DC. There is some confusion on whether it is offered in some countries. It's not in Mexico or Belize for example, but for the Caymans - one page says not, one page says sure?

But do be sure you have one or the other, altho the cheapest DAN plan is inadequate - but too many of their members say that's all they want - to supplement other coverages I suppose, but get the middle plan at least; worth the extra $10/yr. If you like Dive Assure, get their middle plan at least; worth the extra $20/yr.

1. What do you mean it is not offered in Mexico? So If I purchase DA and dive in Coz and get DCS, I would not be covered? Where did you read this?

2. I don't really see the difference between the gold and platinum besides higher total amount, and some trip insurance. Could you elaborate as to why?

Here is one thing all traveling divers need to keep in mind. Many, if not most of the hospitals in those beautiful, exotic locations work on a cash-up-front principle. You can't give them $5000 for a chamber ride (or any other treatment)? Sorry, you can die from the bends. Not thier problem.

I don't have the info on Dive assure, but I know that DAN will wire a cash payment if needed to get you treatment. They also have a list of hyperbaric facilities they partner with that will treat DAN members up front becuae they know they will get paid. This was part of "Stink" that DD mentioned. Several facilities decided they were going charge outrageous amounts to DAN. Dan cut them off and put notice that there was no member facility at those dive spots (effectively cutting back on tourism). Eventually an agreement was reached and those locations were covered again.

If you don't think you need one of the dive-insurance coverage plans then call your insurance and ask them about payments for treatment in foriegn countries, payment advances, foriegn air-medical transport for care, repatriation, hotel stay for family members while you are hospitalized. I know DAN covers these things.

1. What do you mean it is not offered in Mexico? So If I purchase DA and dive in Coz and get DCS, I would not be covered? Where did you read this?
No, I think their site indicates that it's not sold to residents of Mexico.
2. I don't really see the difference between the gold and platinum besides higher total amount, and some trip insurance. Could you elaborate as to why?
You can compare the plans here DiveAssure Scuba Diving Insurance | DiveAssure Programs and decided.

Oh to residents of Mexico, I thought you meant that I would not be covered in Mexico.

I have seen quite a bit of talk regarding primary/ secondary coverages.

Since I work in the evil insurance biz (homeowners, not health), I thought I might shed some light on these terms. They have nothing to do with paying a service provider directly or reimbursing you. They dictate the manner in which multiple insurance carriers will share the burden of the loss.

For example, if my medical insurance will pay some portion of dive related medical expenses, DAN specifying it is secondary means it will only pay those items not covered by the primary insurer, or, if primary insurance is exhausted, it will pay the remaining money, up to it's coverage limit.

If you have no other applicable coverage, it would be primary, as there is nothing to be secondary to. If you have two policies that are both primary, and both will pay for the medical care, typically they each pay their pro rata share of the loss.

Hope that helps clear up any confusion. I myself have DAN. I'm sure either one works though.

I have seen quite a bit of talk regarding primary/ secondary coverages.
Well said. I think I kind of said something similar above, but you did it better.

As far as how Dive Assure pays, their site is quite clear...
Claims for medical expenses reimbursement:
Contact Chartis Insurance Claims Services to obtain the appropriate claim form. Obtain receipts from the providers of service, etc., stating the amount paid and listing the diagnosis and treatment.

NOTE: Problems of distance, information and communication make it impossible for Travel Guard to assume any responsibility for the availability, quality, use or result of any emergency service. In all cases, you are still responsible for obtaining, using and paying for your own required services of all types.
It may well be that some clinics and chambers here and there will accept confirmed proof of insurance only, especially if the dive operator pays a chamber support fee to guarantee such - but that'd be something to ask the diver operator in advance. Confirmed DAN coverage is often enough, and this may work in some place with Dive Assure.

For example, if my medical insurance will pay some portion of dive related medical expenses, DAN specifying it is secondary means it will only pay those items not covered by the primary insurer, or, if primary insurance is exhausted, it will pay the remaining money, up to it's coverage limit.
Secondaries don't usually pay what is denied by the primary. DAN probably will since it is specialized coverage but if the EOB on the primary shows denied a big percentage of the time the secondary won't cover it either. This is also true of copays as many secondaries will not cover copays from the primary. The only thing you can count on from a secondary is to pay on the primary deductible. Anything else and you better start reading the fine print. This is certainly not always the case but common.

Also note that secondaries can completely deny coverage if you do not properly bill your primary first. This tends to be something company specific though. Cheap companies that offer secondary insurance will almost always run an insurance eligibility check.

Secondaries don't usually pay what is denied by the primary.

That has nothing to do with if a plan is a considered "secondary" insurance or "primary" insurance and everything to do with what the individual plans cover.

Again, the terms secondary and primary only dictate the manner in which two (or more) insurance policies will interact to pay for the same loss. Coverages are a different matter entirely (and a more important one as well).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom