Tobago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TayzGpa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are new divers and are looking for some information on Tobago. We have been to Coz but want to dive somewhere different. How is the diving (for new divers) in Tobago? How are the hotels, dive shops, etc. Is it less expensive than say, Cozumel or Cancun? I have heard that it is more laid back (read "less partying") than Cozumel.
We are looking to go maybe sometime in mid-June of this year. Any advice?

Tobago is two different worlds in terms of diving.

The populated South end near the airport (Pigeon Point) and main population center, where there are many dive ops and terrestrial attractions- having been a cruise ship port for many years- well known by many for Buccoo Reef. You can easily find partying until all hours- if that's what you might like. The Eastern shore near the airport (Crown Point) is getting built up by luxury hotels.

The North end (Speyside) which is quite rustic by any comparison (largely travelled by international "birders" with binoculars!) where more adventurous and advanced divers go for the thrill ride currents. This areas features the strongest lateral and upwelling/downwelling currents of anywhere in the Caribbean. Coz, noting your previous experience, is a nice walk in the park by comparison. In terms of partying, it is practically comatose.

Picture31-4.png

Cozumel is way cheaper in every respect, including airfare certainly. You get what you pay for~ Tobago is one of those very special places that still exists in the dive world, even on an International standard. The diving to the South has more critters and corals, and the Carnival atmosphere lingers all year long- without the annoyance of having to go to Trinidad. The North is Mr Toads Wild Ride in terms of currents, much more stark, but it is truly a beautiful vision.

The island is worth touring around, one of the few places I recommend renting a vehicle. They are right hand drive and although the roads are well paved and maintained- there are no lights or reflectors- it gets pretty dark at night or when raining. The island is rich with fresh water lakes and waterfalls.

The central zone (Scarborough, Roxbury, etc) of the island is also often visited by vacationers, but I would not recommend the locations as a base of dive operation- but the accommodations can be quite a bargain.

We have dove Tobago twice. Once landbased in the Speyside area (drift dive training for our trip to Galapagos) and once on the Wind Dancer liveaboard (not there anymore).
There were a few sites I thought were in the beginner range, but most of the sites we dove I would consider intermediate to advanced.
The island is beautiful and the food was delicious and healthy.
It is one of the Caribbean destinations I cannot wait to return to. I just wish it was easier to get to.
Laine

Love Tobago, great info above, the only thing i will add is that June could be wet. there is a definite wet season here hence the beautiful rain forest. not really sure how and when but you are getting close enough to it that I'd suggest you check it out and make sure you've weighed that in your plans.
I've only been in winter time.

My wife and I were there several years ago and stayed at a brand new Hilton)?), I think. This was a great hotel. The diving is more to the intermediate flavor, especially at Speyside. Although, this was my favorite part of the island to dive. Just be sure you are adequately weighted because you'll need to drop right away to avoid the rocks. It's a long ride to Speyside, but well worth it. We rented a small boat with a local to take us out. The backrolls have to be done at the same time, hand the equipment over the edge and pull yourself back in the boat. But like others have said, I'll go back, just not a great place for beginners.

I am going to Tobago in a month and looking for a good dive shop. Looks like all the websites are outdated. Any suggestions?

Beautiful island, take lots of pictures. In some parts you have to drive 5 miles to go 1 mile. Stayed at the "Beach House" in Castera? about 5 years ago before we were diving.

I am going to Tobago in a month and looking for a good dive shop. Looks like all the websites are outdated. Any suggestions?

Your question is unintentionally broad. It all depends upon your "base of operations".

As I said in an earlier post, this is a relatively small island that has two ends- and they are worlds apart in many ways. As another poster amplified- driving is safe, but very time consuming if you were considering staying on one end and diving the other.

Walk-ins are always okay, the place doesn't generally get that crowded- unless you hit the Southern ops along Pigeon Point during cruise ship or holidays.

On the North end, the only difficulty you might encounter is if a large group has arrived and is utilizing the full resources of any given property's dive op.

After reading over some of the descriptions of each zone.... Which end of Tobago were you considering?

Back
Top Bottom