transportation cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmargo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Taking the family to Cancun in June or July and want to dive while I am there. One of the all inclusive we are looking at is Planet Hollywood which is away from most of the dive shops. What is transportation like there ? Do any of the shops do hotel pick up ? I would rather do Cozumel but that was veto'd.

Taking the family to Cancun in June or July and want to dive while I am there. One of the all inclusive we are looking at is Planet Hollywood which is away from most of the dive shops. What is transportation like there ? Do any of the shops do hotel pick up ? I would rather do Cozumel but that was veto'd.
Hi, it looks like Planet Hollywood is in Costa Mujeres, so outside of Cancun. Cancun has a great urban bus system which goes to the Cancun hotel zone, but it doesn’t look like it goes up to Costa Mujeres… Looks like it’s a taxi or private car ride into Cancun. (I have never dived in Cancun, so I have no idea where the dive shops are located.) You might want to check with the dive shops to see if any of them do hotel pickup or can recommend the best mode of transportation?
Good luck. I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Hi, it looks like Planet Hollywood is in Costa Mujeres, so outside of Cancun. Cancun has a great urban bus system which goes to the Cancun hotel zone, but it doesn’t look like it goes up to Costa Mujeres… Looks like it’s a taxi or private car ride into Cancun. (I have never dived in Cancun, so I have no idea where the dive shops are located.) You might want to check with the dive shops to see if any of them do hotel pickup or can recommend the best mode of transportation?
Good luck. I hope you have a wonderful vacation!
Just noticed that you are only considering Planet Hollywood. If you do decide to stay in the Cancun hotel zone, there are urban buses that take you all along the peninsula and into town for 12 pesos (less than $1 US). They pass frequently and are quite safe. Some foreign tourists use them, but the majority of the folks using them seem to work in the hotel zone, or are locals headed to the public beaches.

As far as diving, the only one I’m familiar with is Aqua World, across from the Paradisus. It’s where I got my OW. Good, friendly, bunch of people. I’ve used them for snorkeling trips prior to getting into diving, as well. Only done Manchones and MUSA with them, so far. Don’t know where else they go.

I've been diving twice in the area. The first time my daughter and I rode the bus from Riu Cancun to Scuba Cancun. We chose to go on the shallower dives because she is JOW, so the boat went to MUSA and a shallow reef off Isla Mujeres.
The next year we stayed way up north at Riu Dunamar. I booked through the hotel vendor, they put us on a private taxi that drove us all the way down to PDC to dive. The diving was good, but the hour+ taxi ride each way wasn't what I wanted.
Getting a taxi from Planet Hollywood to a 5* dive shop wouldn't cost much.

Thanks for the info. We ended up booking Dreams Vista so we are closer to the dive shops. Now just to pick a place to dive with. There are a couple with some real bad reviews.

I was always told by a buddy with worldwide diving experience, when diving out of country always go with a PADI 5* shop. Not sure how valid that is, as the one my daughter and I chose in Cancun ran over some divers a month after we were there.

Thanks for the info. We ended up booking Dreams Vista so we are closer to the dive shops. Now just to pick a place to dive with. There are a couple with some real bad reviews.
Who did you dive with? How was it? I've just arrived in Cancun and am looking for shops.

If you stay at a resort in or near Cancun, I would highly recommend diving in a cenote instead of one of the below average reef dives that's in the Cancun vicinity. Most of the cenotes are south of Playa del Carmen or near Tulum, but you can go to some amazing ones not that far away like Zapote. Most cenote divings are contracted to independent cave diver guides so shops don't matter as much. Many are online and will come pick you up.

If you stay at a resort in or near Cancun, I would highly recommend diving in a cenote instead of one of the below average reef dives that's in the Cancun vicinity. Most of the cenotes are south of Playa del Carmen or near Tulum, but you can go to some amazing ones not that far away like Zapote. Most cenote divings are contracted to independent cave diver guides so shops don't matter as much. Many are online and will come pick you up.
Any recs on who to dive with for these?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom