Ferry Crew Pulls Two Divers from water at Brackett's Landing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd have to disagree with Lynne on this one. If you're inverted at 100 fsw the last thing you want to do it hit your BC inflator. You're unside down but not positively buoyant unless you add to the problem and now hit your BC inflator button.

Oh, I didn't mean to do this AT DEPTH! I meant that, once you have arrived at the surface and find yourself hanging from your feet (which is apparently what happened to this lady) the quickest way to right yourself is to inflate your BC. Apparently much of her actual trouble occurred as a result of finding herself in this situation and concluding she had to shed her gear to solve it.

Well it certainly seams that this poor (but ultimately fortunate) lady, either didn't have proper training for dry suit diving or simply forgot it. Durring a dry suit class they teach you techniques to avoid this situation and if it does happen, how to correct it. I learned the hard way, being properly weighted in a dry suit is very very important. Durring my dry suit class I ended up in a feet up situation and my fins came off. Luckly the only thing hurt was my pride!

Using the dry suit for bouyency control is the recommended practice, because managing two seperate volumes of air (one in your BC and one in the dry suit) is difficult at best.

Seams like she lacked training in her dry suit - I have to say ending up feet up in my dry suit class was an excellent learning experience and I now I know how to manage it!

As with bad situation, its best to relax and then act. It certainly seams had she taken time to think about it, that she could have avoided becomming exhusted and saved her self the broken ribs.

Does anyone know if she had any instruction in using the drysuit and troubleshooting as well as practice using the drysuit prior to that dive?

She did have drysuit training.

Ron

Originally Posted by knowone View Post
"A belt also slows air transfer within the suit which makes it more manageable. I think."

This can cut both ways restrictions ie; weight belts, shoulder straps, snugged up BC waist straps can cause air pockets in a suit that are hard to dump in a hurry.

I dove a vulcanized Viking bag suit for years and always had to be on guard to prevent a feet up blow out. A year ago I had to buy a back up suit as my trilam needed to go in for a new zipper. I didn't want to break the bank on another suit so I bought an Apollo, a neoprene suit. It is now my #1 suit.

THE POINT OF ALL OF THIS IS: and how it relates to the OP incident. If you are looking to buy a new suit. The Apollo suit comes with auto/adj. ankle dump valves. I don't even think about air migrating to legs anymore.

I have no commercial interest in Apollo, I just love the suit!!

Once again, two all two familiar problems...
Buddy separation

Weight drop failure​
Glad she's okay...

Originally Posted by knowone View Post
"A belt also slows air transfer within the suit which makes it more manageable. I think."

This can cut both ways restrictions ie; weight belts, shoulder straps, snugged up BC waist straps can cause air pockets in a suit that are hard to dump in a hurry.

I dove a vulcanized Viking bag suit for years and always had to be on guard to prevent a feet up blow out. A year ago I had to buy a back up suit as my trilam needed to go in for a new zipper. I didn't want to break the bank on another suit so I bought an Apollo, a neoprene suit. It is now my #1 suit.

THE POINT OF ALL OF THIS IS: and how it relates to the OP incident. If you are looking to buy a new suit. The Apollo suit comes with auto/adj. ankle dump valves. I don't even think about air migrating to legs anymore.

I have no commercial interest in Apollo, I just love the suit!!

Those can be good or bad, depending on diver preferences. One problem ... at least a few years back when I looked into one ... is that they also can dump air when you don't want them to. This is particularly an issue if your diving style includes putting a bit of air in your feet intentionally for trim.

It's a good suit ... especially for the money ... but I have known people who pulled the springs and closed the valves off permanently.

Oh ... and getting back to the lady in question ... I have heard from other sources that she has replaced her suit and is back diving again. That's a rare happy ending to this story ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom