"logged Dives"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaday

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Divers,
I’m new to the scuba diving, long time free diver, and I have a question, what makes a dive a “logged dive”? Are there any particular requirements to log the dives?

Thanks,
Geovani

Your log is your record. Log anything you like.

A logged dive is a dive that has been logged. Most folks only log open water dives. Most (all?) agencies have specific requirements about which dives they will count for training purposes.

Hello Divers,
I’m new to the scuba diving, long time free diver, and I have a question, what makes a dive a “logged dive”? Are there any particular requirements to log the dives?

Thanks,
Geovani

Different training agencies have specific requirements on what they consider a "loggable dive." These requirements may include such criteria as xx depth, yy time, or using zz volume/psi of gas.

As Teamcasa pointed out, its your log. Use it as you wish. You can use it to record memories of places you dove, things you saw. You can use it to reference equipment like what kind of exposure suit you used for a certain water temp, how much lead, etc. Record who your buddy was and any type of training you may have done.

Keep in mind that sometimes instructors or dive ops may ask to look at your log in order to assess your experience for a specific dive or trip.

The amount of detail contained in logs varies widely from diver to diver. It's pretty much an individual decision.

Anything and everything! It's your log!

One of the guys I dive with has a "20-20" rule he uses....20 ft. or 20 minutes Anything 20 feet or over, or any dive that is longer than 20 minutes goes in his log and gets numbered.

Personally, I log anything NOT in a pool (unless I am working on something (weighting, or trim) and want to take notes..but I don't number it as a "logged dive") Aborted dives are counted as "half" dives (i.e. dive one (logged dive number 75) went off without a hitch...for dive two "the current got nasty and we aborted after 10 minutes" becomes dive two point five for the day or dive number 75 and a half (but the half doesn't get carried over as I do other "half" dives...they are just a point of reference.)

But your log book is just that; YOUR log book!

I've seen your typical PADI-issued logs with notes (extensive and minimalist) I've seen binders with pictures and typed dissertations, and I've seen small notebooks with the place, date, and quick description of the dive.

Have fun!!

I think the OP may mean..."How long must a dive last to be considered a logged dive"

I know a few people who break up 30 minute dives into two, 15 minute dives just to "pad" their logbook for purposes of advancement to Divemaster etc.

It is your log...log what you like.

I'd suggest for the beginning logging everything you'd need to calculate SAC or RMV and log what your tank was, you're exposure protection and how much weight.

Some people log all sorts of stuff. What fish they say, how they felt, who they dove with, so on so forth.

Overall the log can be used as a tool to help you track how you are diving and what has changed. I look at my first few logged dives and chuckle at how much weight I needed and how quick I went through a tank.

I think the OP may mean..."How long must a dive last to be considered a logged dive"

I know a few people who break up 30 minute dives into two, 15 minute dives just to "pad" their logbook for purposes of advancement to Divemaster etc.

Every diver has their own criteria for what is a logged dive. For me, I log any dive that is not a pool dive. (I do log them, just in a different way, making clear that it was only for training or gear testing.)

For instance, I'll log a dive that was called short do to whatever reason and clearly state why or what caused the dive to be cut short.

Since I'm purely a recreational diver and have no aspirations to become an instructor or commercial diver, I simply log everything.

Hello Divers,

Thanks,
Geovani

I've found logging dives is like logging how many trips to the bathroom I make. Only the ones with legendary results get noted, usually with photographic evidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom