"logged Dives"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geovani with an e intriguing.

Hello Divers,
I’m new to the scuba diving, long time free diver, and I have a question, what makes a dive a “logged dive”? Are there any particular requirements to log the dives?

Thanks,
Geovani
None whatsoever. Consider it your keepsake and record of what you learn.

If you go into the dive shop pool to perfect a skill or work on your configuration log it and your findings. If you feel"guilty" about calling that a dive then just don't increment your dive count.

Some higher level certifications do have definitions of what a dive consists of. If that ever matters they can just discount any that don't make the bar.

Pete

So, my question is, how much my log will influence on my development as a diver when it comes to certifications and recognition, can I, supposedly, just “make up” a log and bring it to the instructor to speed up the process?

Geovani

Sure...... But most higher level certification process begin with an evaluation dive or period to witness your abilities. That's a lot harder to fake.

Pete

Do a search--there are many threads on this.

great value added post... sorry ... wifes been visiting family... very bored.. add my post to non-value added posts :D

Unless he is known, and an industry member or qualifier is prepared to sign off on his damness. I'd suck the f rather than subject my self to that nightmare. Not the course. CPR. and Oxygen is good.

?????

I just logged a 9 minute dive that was basically the best dive of my life. A family of sea lions was curious about us and just swam around us as we floated there. The boat wanted to leave though, so we had to cut it short.
The captain or crew watched you begin a dive and then decided 9 minutes later that they wanted to go and cut your dive short? :confused:

The captain or crew watched you begin a dive and then decided 9 minutes later that they wanted to go and cut your dive short? :confused:

We'd planned four dives for that morning and as we were about to go out on the last one, the captain said that he wanted to leave a half hour earlier due to the weather (perfectly reasonable). We could have a) passed on the last dive, b) done the our originally planned SI and returned in ten minutes to make the boat's deadline or c) taken the next group down's SI and had a lovely 9 minute dive to hit our NDL. We figured we got sub-ten minute dive in any of the cases, but one had 15 minutes of wetness and the other had 15 minutes of dryness (and one was too disappointing to consider), so we did the 9min dive.

Long story with the name, not exactly what my father had in mind.

I've found logging dives is like logging how many trips to the bathroom I make. Only the ones with legendary results get noted, usually with photographic evidence.

I'm afraid those are not the kind of logs the OP had in mind ... :(

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom