Apex ATX200 vs. ScubaPro MK25/S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sinja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a newbie, and after reading, researching, and asking LDS, it's down to Apex ATX200 or ScubaPro MK25/S600. I will be diving both warm and cold. Price difference is not really a consideration. Which would you choose?

Apeks ATX-200. For cold water, it is much better than the SP MK-25.

If you are going to be diving in water colder than 40 F then that is a simple decision, get the Apeks. Dry sealed first and more tolerant of cold water than the MK25/S600AF which I use. Scubapro likely tests their regs somewhere you can wear a bathing suit and Apeks tests in the North Atlantic. Which would you choose for cold water?

Under 45F I would go for the Apeks: the dry sealed chamber makes me more comfortable that it won't freeze. Above that temp i would choose the ScubaPro: it breathes better and drier.

you should also consider, if you can service the regulators on a lds.
see if maintenance centers for both brands are available.

I have been researching regs too. I rented the MK25/S600 and liked it. The water temp at 85 feet was 45 degrees. Surface air temp this day was 25 degrees. Everyone in my group had the same reg actually and none of us had icing problems. One of my buddies uses the Scuba Pro reg year round and has never had an icing problem. His last dive was last weekend in 33 degree water - no freezing.

By design it would appear the Apeks is better (environmentally sealed) but based on my research in practice the Scuba Pro regs do not have icing problems.

--Matt

PS Scuba Pro offers lifetime free parts which is a nice draw. Performance first of course, but cost second.

They are about $90 difference if remember I correctly!

--sinja

While I haven't had any prob with the Mk25 down to 33 degrees (When I'm dumb enough to be diving when it's that cold, which ain't too often), It seems many here have indeed had these problems.

It bothers me to a point, as it seems this is a potential problem, more so than the Apeks seem to be.

I'd err on the side of caution and take the Apeks if I had the choice to do over again.

matt_unique:
By design it would appear the Apeks is better (environmentally sealed) but based on my research in practice the Scuba Pro regs do not have icing problems.

--Matt

PS Scuba Pro offers lifetime free parts which is a nice draw. Performance first of course, but cost second.

Apeks has free parts for life also...

BTW, I just picked up a SP MK20, and I am going to be giving it abuse as soon as I can get out...to test the cold water properties of that reg...
IMO, you still cant beat the Apeks for cold water performance... The only thing that comes close (alright, just as good) is a Poseidon First stage for cold water...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom