Apex ATX200 vs. ScubaPro MK25/S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431:
Apeks has free parts for life also...

BTW, I just picked up a SP MK20, and I am going to be giving it abuse as soon as I can get out...to test the cold water properties of that reg...
IMO, you still cant beat the Apeks for cold water performance... The only thing that comes close (alright, just as good) is a Poseidon First stage for cold water...

Did now know that about the Apeks regs - better deal with the free parts definitely.

I was double checking the RSD reg reviews. For what they are worth, and as the only source of tests I am aware of, the Apeks regs do not breath as well as the Scuba Pro based on their machine and subjective tests.

I am about to upgrade my regs and have researched the Atomic Z1, Apeks ATX200, and Scuba Pro's MK25/G250HP. Based on service availability, RSD breathing tests, free parts for life, and the feedback of my friends who own SP's, I am leaning toward the SP's. I suspect the difference in performance for these three regs could not be easily discerned.

--Matt

No, you cant tell the difference. I have a MK20/G500, and the ATX-200, and ATX-40/ DS4, and I cant tell the difference between them. Let's face it, the high performance regs that are available today are really good. The only differences are things like environmental seal, diaphragm/piston, warranty, prices of parts. Keep in mind that a diaphragm reg will not even come close to putting out as much air as a piston reg, but nothing that you will notice, even at depth. Also, diaphragm regs are better for cold water than piston. All in all, its tough to go wrong choosing between Scubapro, Apeks, or Atomic. Now, if you were servicing them, I think the Apeks are easier to overhaul than the other two (Service tech for the last ~four years).

Actually Matt the Navy Experimental Dive Unit and the US Antarctica Research Station have both tested lots of regs. The Scubapro regs had problems under the ice at McMurdo Station and on the NEDU testing.
http://scilib.ucsd.edu/sio/nsf/diving/nedu.html

There is talk of a new round of testing this year or next as there has been little testing other than that done by Rodale's over the last decade. This would be overdue as there are a lot of newer reg designs (Apeks and Poseidon) which need to be put through the paces. Scubapro has made some cold water improvements as well since those older tests were done. Rodale's tests though are on a dry bench I believe and not as rigorous and those done by the two groups above.

Regarding Free parts for Apeks...

When I bought my Apeks (in Canada) I was told it had free parts for life just as the states has (so they better honour that when I bring it in for service next year). However when doing my shopping around, I contacted DiveINN about that. They said Apeks is warrented as they are an authorized dealer, however, europe does not have the free parts program at all apparently and any reg you buy from europe would not have free parts.

Here is the quote from the e-mail they sent me:
"In Europe there is not a free parts programme for these regulators. You will be able to get your regulator serviced locally, but there will not be free parts. However, the cost for the parts is usually minimal."

Well, I weighed the costs and I think it was only $50-$100 more CAN anyways. Minimal or not, I'll earn that back in one service.

pufferfish:
Actually Matt the Navy Experimental Dive Unit and the US Antarctica Research Station have both tested lots of regs. The Scubapro regs had problems under the ice at McMurdo Station and on the NEDU testing.
http://scilib.ucsd.edu/sio/nsf/diving/nedu.html

There is talk of a new round of testing this year or next as there has been little testing other than that done by Rodale's over the last decade. This would be overdue as there are a lot of newer reg designs (Apeks and Poseidon) which need to be put through the paces. Scubapro has made some cold water improvements as well since those older tests were done. Rodale's tests though are on a dry bench I believe and not as rigorous and those done by the two groups above.

Have tests been conducted recently? The date on the reports available from this link were almost 10 years old (1996 for one, 1995 for another).

I would be interested to see other recent test reports if they are available.

--Matt

I asked my LDS recently about the apeks. I'm in BC, Canada. Free parts for ever major service (2 years). To maintain warranty you get it checked every year, and serviced every other year as far as I recall. I'll probably be getting this from my LDS just to save on hassles in the future. They said the rebuild kit was around $89. I plan on getting these regs and keeping them for awhile.

Rodale's tests though are on a dry bench I believe and not as rigorous and those done by the two groups above.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the testing conducted by Rodale's is now carried out in a water filled pressure chamber. The water temp is usually around 70 degrees, so it isn't an indicator for cold water performance. The overall WOB is affected by the water's density against the exhaust valve membrane. There are a number of manufacturers in Europe that have been using the water chamber for a few years now.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's

i was deciding between the same two regs. in the end i went with the apeks because i wanted to be on the safe(r) side in cold water and, most importantly, you can find apeks parts kits to do your own service much easier than scubapro.

I asked my LDS recently about the apeks. I'm in BC, Canada. Free parts for ever major service (2 years). To maintain warranty you get it checked every year, and serviced every other year as far as I recall. I'll probably be getting this from my LDS just to save on hassles in the future. They said the rebuild kit was around $89. I plan on getting these regs and keeping them for awhile.

Kind of confused with the idea of the cost of the rebuild kit versus free parts for life. Is the rebuild kit something that you would have to buy if you were doing the service yourself and so you have decided to let the LDS service the reg so that you don't have to pay anything (other than labor)? Funny that my lds didn't point out that Apeks had free parts for life, is that something they don't tell you so that they can charge you for what you get free? I have also let a little more thana year slip by without getting my first overhaul, I hope I didn't hose my free parts setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom