Looking for a charter in SE Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, the question remains ... what exactly is a GUE friendly charter? Charter boats take divers to dive sites, in this instance shipwrecks. What does GUE or TDI or IANTD or PADI or etc, etc have to do with it? You're a diver on a boat getting a ride to a site. What matters to the Capt is if you're qualified to safely dive the site he's taking you to. If you are and if you have money ... than he or she is your biggest fan!

Exactly. GUE does have a strong DIR emphasis which is neither here nor there. I think most charter operators are cash friendly - follow thier directions on thier boat, pay your bill and they are happy campers!

I second Mitten Diver's post. I simply believe that we are talking about someone with a doubles friendly boat and maybe with the patience to let divers execute the plans that they are comfortable with.

The reason that I mention this is that I have been on a couple of charter boats that I will not mention here that were not that way. One sent a divemaster down with the divers to keep the divers with the plan that the captain wanted and had no room on the boat for doubles. The other had a large enough boat, but put a strict restriction on diver's run times. I have sworn not to use either of those captains again if they are still in business. I was diving with a GUE trained diver as my dive buddy on the second trip and he was furious as it threw his dive plans into something that he didn't like.

I do believe that most charter operators are "GUE friendly" if they are carrying divers to deeper wrecks in the Great Lakes at all.

Back
Top Bottom