Halcyon Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BG9879

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a 10 watt fixed beam Halcyon Light (Proteus). I found one for sale and I thought about upgrading, but can't decide. It is a Halcyon Helios 18 watt with focusable beam. He is asking $700 for the light, battery, charger, and manual. What are your opinions?

Thanks for the advice!

That's a pretty good price and a good light if it's in good condition. Ask him what the burn time is on the battery. My buddy has one and doesn't have any complaints.

I currently have a 10 watt fixed beam Halcyon Light (Proteus). I found one for sale and I thought about upgrading, but can't decide. It is a Halcyon Helios 18 watt with focusable beam. He is asking $700 for the light, battery, charger, and manual. What are your opinions?

Thanks for the advice!

I have the same light, and like it very much. Only down side is the price of the bulb. Just had to order a replacement, $221.00. I have had the light for around 10yrs or so and this is the second replacement I have had to order. This time I broke the bulb, it didn't die on me.
I think I have seem the light your talking about on craigs. Has shown up several times with the same price. So maybe the seller will deal?

Al

You can find 21W lights for same price either new (custom made by a SBer) or used (ie salvo/light monkey). If you are upgrading, why not up upgrade?

There is a guy on the board who is custom making lights and they are identicle to Halcyon/light monkey and has sold a few to others on this board with no complaints everyone so far is very happy with their lights and you can get a brand new 12watt light with a 4 hr burn time for about same price. he has post floating arounf the board his screen name is: adm3745

There is a guy on the board who is custom making lights and they are identicle to Halcyon/light monkey and has sold a few to others on this board with no complaints everyone so far is very happy with their lights and you can get a brand new 12watt light with a 4 hr burn time for about same price.

Yea this is what I was referring to, but I dont have his name handy; I think it is adm-something something something.

Thanks for the advice!

I am selling new 21w HID lights. I have a thread in the for sale section where you can find some pictures of the light. For $750 I can do a 4.5 hour burn time in Li-Ion. The canister is 2.75" x 9". For $800 I can give you a 6.5 hour burn time light. If you have any questions about the light, warranty, or replacement parts, PM me and we'll talk.

Thanks,

Adam

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please read this thread before dealing with adm3745.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 18w Helios is a great light, I had one for a while. The beam is comparable in brightness and focus to any 21w out there. However, these are pretty old now, and one concern with buying used is making sure the battery pack isn't near the end of its life. Also, HID lamps (the bulbs) do age, and the older it is, the more likely you'll eventually need to have it replaced. The Welch-Allyn lamps in the 18w can be pretty expensive, compared to the Brightstars (the 18w lamps are also more fragile, though many believe they put out a cleaner, more focused beam).

I have the new Halcyon 9A 12W LED light. It is brighter and more focused than the 18W HID. We've had them in a side by side comparison. Granted the price tag is higher than what you're asking about. However, never having to replace bulbs, it's increased ruggedness, the ability to turn it on and off immediately without worrying about damaging anything, the ability to use it above water, plus the 9A battery gives 10 hours of burn time on high and 20 hours of burn time on low, might outweigh the increased cost.

I have used the 18W light as well. They're both excellent lights. You can't go wrong with either.

-Jim

I have the new Halcyon 9A 12W LED light. It is brighter and more focused than the 18W HID.

I find this extremely unlikely from an objective perspective, though I'm sure the 12w LED is quite nice. Do you have any comparison pictures that do not have the hotspots blown out?

Back
Top Bottom