I got a great deal on some tanks...or did I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobaDood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I got my hands on a couple of DACOR 72's today. Externally they look great, but there is defeinitly some rust inside, though nothing a good tumble shouldn't fix.

They are out of Hydro and the information on the tank is as follows:

DOT 3AA 2250
DACOR
3C71+PST

I understand the first line and am good with that, and I believe the last line to be the initial Hydro Information, so March of 1971? What is the +PST?

I got them for $20 each, and the guy gave me his tumbler as well...seemed like a good deal, but what the hell do I know. :wink:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The + means they could be over filled 10% to 2475. PST is the manufacturer, Pressed Steel Tank, Inc. They made the tanks for Dacor. No diving equipment manufacturer made their own tanks, they just put their name on them. If you look closely the C may have an L stamped inside. This is the symbol for Cochran Labs which did the original hydro test on PST tanks.

The + means they could be over filled 10% to 2475. PST is the manufacturer, Pressed Steel Tank, Inc. They made the tanks for Dacor. No diving equipment manufacturer made their own tanks, they just put their name on them. If you look closely the C may have an L stamped inside. This is the symbol for Cochran Labs which did the original hydro test on PST tanks.

Ok yeah, you are right! There is an L in there. Its a little tough to read some of the imprinting on the tank...seems like the galvanized coating is almost too thick in some spots...not sure.

So would these be worth the $20? I mean they have J valves in them, but he gave me a couple of K valves, so I would think even with rebuilding them, they alone are worth the $20.00. They need to be Hydro'd, and he gave me a tumbler, though I think I might just have that done by someone who has experience with it :)

Just not sure if I paid to get stuck with someone elses junk, or if I got a good deal.

Thanks again for any feedback.

20 bucks, if they pass hydro, which they should you got a deal. Just be sure the hydro facility follows PST technical bulletin D-100

20 bucks is worth the risk in my book, you really won't know if it was a deal until you get them hydro'd.

They'll probably pass hydro. The bigger concern is the rust inside. You'll have to do some reading to find the correct type of media for tumbling and give it a go. Luis H on this forum recently posted about some wire brushes he uses to get rust out of the bottom of thanks where tumbling media doesn't do as well.

Sounds like a great deal to me! You can probably take them to your LDS and they can tumble them, perform the viz and get them hydro's. Yes, I know you have a tumbler but there are people you can pay to manhandle cylinders.

With luck, the hydro shop will know the REE number for the tanks and you will be able to get the '+' rating again.

Richard

It depends on how much hydro and tumble cost in you area and if LP72 is the tank you want. In my area (NorCal), tumble is $20, hydro is $50. So putting this tank in service will cost another $70, making it total of $90. Still not bad, but all of sudden, you have other choices, such AL80 or AL63 in relatively new condition ready for use.

LP72 with + rating, filled to 2475psi, gives you 72 cubic ft of air. If you lose the + rating in hydro, it will be filled to 2250psi, you you get 65 cubic ft. Is this enough air for you? If so, it is a good deal. It has better buoyance characteristic than AL tank.

River quartz pebbles and particles and water that fit in the hole and a poly threaded plug. Biodegradable degreaser and hp air.

It depends on how much hydro and tumble cost in you area and if LP72 is the tank you want.

Exactly!

If you want to dive with a double hose regulator and not overpressure it, the LP tanks are perfect. If you want to use a retro harness then the 72 is the perfect tank (correct diameter). Make sure it has a J-valve with a HP port for the SPG and you're good to go! A horse collar BC will complete the rig.

OTOH, if you want to dive in cold water with a wetsuit, the 72 is better than a standard Al 80 (but only if it has the '+' rating) based solely on buoyancy characteristics. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't really hold enough air, even with the '+' rating, to make it very interesting.

The HP100's seem very popular in terms of buoyancy and capacity but they are expensive. The old standby Al 80 requires wearing 6# of additional lead and it weighs more than the HP100. But it's a lot cheaper, like $150 versus $350.

Eelnoraa has it right. By the time you get the tumble, VIP and hydro, these tanks will be about $100 each. A brand new Al 80 is only about $150. But for the retro diver, even if they are just messing about in the pool, the LP72 is perfect!

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom