I got a great deal on some tanks...or did I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With luck, the hydro shop will know the REE number for the tanks and you will be able to get the '+' rating again.

Good point! Be sure to explicitly ask that they be tested for the + rating. Other wise many shops won't bother and you'll end up with a 65 CF cylinder.

Pete

Last edited:
20 bucks, if they pass hydro, which they should you got a deal. Just be sure the hydro facility follows PST technical bulletin D-100

I am emphasizing the part @ the hydro facility following PST protocol. Not all places are aware of the specifics of testing a PST tank (cylinder :wink: ).

Ok, so I talked to the company that does our Fire Extinguishers at my office, and they were able to tumble them for about 30 minutes and remove the minor rust inside. They are going to charge me $25 a piece for Hydro&VIP. I provided the PST tech bulletin that was provided earlier in the thread and they assured me that it would not be a problem maintaining the + rating. So I am looking at $45 per tank including Hydro and VIP...Im feeling really good about that.

They actually came with the J-Valves but the guy also gave me a couple of K-Valves as well, and well....I am switching outo to the K-Valves for sure.

Oddly enough I just got a line on two (2) Steel LP80's, both in Hydro (1 has a year left, the other 3 years) at $50 a piece. I would eventually like to go with 100's or 120's but as we have all discussed, the cost is a factor. Having just bought complete rigs for both myself and my son(dive buddy), and now being hit with my Wife going to get OW Cert (another rig to buy), Im trying to save all I can on tanks.

The only reason I am even buying tanks at the moment is that I am sick of renting them, getting to the dive spot, finding crappy conditions (Red Tide is horrible in San Diego right now) and not getting to dive, and returning full tanks at $10 a pop. Atleast this way I can toss them in the truck and try again the next day.

Thanks again for all the feedback, I appreciate it.

Hope you bought those 80s great for twins and small breather singles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom