PADI Rescue requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypertech

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
One of my friends who has basically never done any diving since open water just did AOW last weekend and Rescue this weekend. I'm not even sure they have a single logged dive outside of training. I was pretty sure there was a 20 dive requirement, but I just checked PADI's website and it doesn't say it anymore. Has this changed?

Between this and 2 of my rescue classmates being unable to complete a rescue due to a personal issue and a so called gear issue, I'm wondering if there is any value at all to this rating.

Your memory is partly correct. There is a 20 dive requirement to start DiveMaster training.

Confusion sometimes came from the Rescue prerequisite to be a PADI advanced diver, or equivalent - and the equivalency definition included 20 dives.

I still get confused on this sometimes - like now, causing me to edit this post three times.

You are correct they need to have 20 logged dives.

Confusion sometimes came from the Rescue prerequisite to be a PADI advanced diver, or equivalent - and the equivalency definition included 20 dives.

I still get confused on this sometimes - like now, causing me to edit this post three times.

As of last year if memory serves me right PADI Advanced is not required for the Rescue , PADI Adventure diver is the minimum prerequisite

As of last year if memory serves me right PADI Advanced is not required for the Rescue , PADI Adventure diver is the minimum prerequisite
Yep, although I'm not certain when it changed. Adventure is sufficient as long as it includes the navigation dive.

The easiest way is to go to the source. :)

"Diver Prerequisites
• 12 years old
Note: 12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Rescue Diver certifications
• PADI (Junior) Adventure Diver certification – must have
completed the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive
• PADI Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge
Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water
• EFR Primary and Secondary Care training within 24
months. Training may be completed along with rescue
diver course."
PADI Instructor Manual Version 2010 (Rev 1/2010), Rescue Diver Course Instructor Guide

Just curious. Why no dives outside of a class?

Perhaps they just want to know before they go. I did...

I took NAUI OW I, OW II, Advanced OW and Rescue with only 2 rec dives between AOW and Rescue. I didn't have anything else to do while I worked through First Aid and CPR so I went rec diving.

Not everyone agrees with me (in fact, few do) but I think a new diver should get as many supervised dives as early in the process as possible. As long as the dives are going to be supervised, they might as well be educational.

Boat diving off the east coast of Malaysia, everyone was pretty much on their own. We had divers who had been to the various sites before but they were already paired up and dive briefings didn't come up. We had no DMs and the only chamber was at a military barracks in Singpore.

So, you pretty much had to take care of yourself. Education is a everything!

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom