PADI Dive Center concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomNativeNewYorker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First off, I am PADI OW certified since August 2006. I did my training in Barbados, and logged 15 dives after completion in Barbados on the same trip. I haven't done any diving since Sept 2008.

I recently relocated to Kuwait for work, and will be here long term. I would like to dive on a regular basis, but since it has been awhile since my last dive I know it would be prudent to go through a refresher training first.

There doesn't seem to be much in the area as far as dive shops and training in the local area. There are several dive shops, but many of their websites haven't been updated in a few years, or their telephone numbers are no longer in service, or telephones go unanswered and without any voice mail.

Kim Dive Center which is located within the Kuwait Hilton resort has their own website and the telephone is one of those that seem to go unanswered all the time. Their website shows a 'PADI Five Stare Dive Center' logo on all their pages but nothing on their training pages mention anything about gaining any PADI certs from their training.

I went to the PADI website to see if Kim Dive Center had another number listed, but they weren't listed at all on the PADI site. I called the hotel and confirmed the number I already had was current and correct.

Since they weren't listed at all on the PADI website, I sent an inquiry to PADI's QA questioning the validity of the dive center and their use of Padi logos throughout their site.

PADI's QA response was that the dive center was affiliated with PADI for the year 2009, but never paid their licensing and associated fees for the year 2010 and have not responded to them about their desire for annual renewal.

PADI also acknowledged that I would have to check individual instructor cert card, and verify the credentials with PADI.

Now, here is the questions.

If the dive center has instructors that are indeed valid with PADI, would you use them?

Would you have any lack of confidence in a dive center touting the PADI logo on their website even though they haven't renewed the PADI licensing?

How would you feel about using this dive center for drive trips or equipment purchase not related to the PADI affiliation?

In general, what should be my concerns with this place?

Thanks

Why does it have to be a dive center? WHat about an individual instructor or shop not affiliated? There is an instructor here on the board that I think is in that area. Goes by Zendiver3D. Who the shop is affiliated with would have no bearing on gear purchases or trips. A 5 star is a marketing issue and actually could have little to do with the quality of instruction. All it means is that they only (supposedly) offer PADI instruction and buy a crapload of stuff. Personally I'd care more about who the instructors were a lot more than who they are affiliated with.

Why does it have to be a dive center? WHat about an individual instructor or shop not affiliated?
It seems that there isnt much information online that is up to date with what is in the area. How does one find an individual instructor in my particular area?

There is an instructor here on the board that I think is in that area. Goes by Zendiver3D.
I didnt know Zen was an instructor, but I do have a pending IM sent her way.

Who the shop is affiliated with would have no bearing on gear purchases or trips.
True, but if there is an appearance that the company misrepresents there affiliation with PADI, can you be sure that they are on the up and up as far as their other areas of business is concerned?

Personally I'd care more about who the instructors were a lot more than who they are affiliated with.
Well, it sure would be nice to get good quality training from a PADI instructor and actually be able to get my cert card from PADI after the training is complete and money spent. How can a trainee know for sure whether or not an instructor is worth it or trouble.

I want to get into diving while I am here, I want to have fun, increase my knowledge and skills, and want to expand my level of expertise with good safe quality training from a place that isnt only interested in getting as much money as possible out of me.

Do my points make sense?

Yes but what I'm trying to say is that there are more options than PADI. Have you checked to see if there are any CMAS,BSAC, NAUI, or SDI/TDI places? All of which I'd look at first in that order.

It could be that the 5 Star organization just hasn't updated their web site now that they are no longer registered with PADI. I don't think they are trying to deceive, I think they are essentially out of business.

Work the problem from the other direction. Find out where people go to dive, head over there and ask around. First problem: where to get air fills. If you can find air fills, you can find everything else. Worst case: ship everything in from the US (or wherever).

You're a certified diver. You should be capable of doing beach dives almost anywhere. Even boat dives at moderate depths should be pretty easy. Find out where to dive and go diving. From there you will be able to back into everything else.

Richard

Well, it sure would be nice to get good quality training from a PADI instructor and actually be able to get my cert card from PADI after the training is complete and money spent. How can a trainee know for sure whether or not an instructor is worth it or trouble.

I want to get into diving while I am here, I want to have fun, increase my knowledge and skills, and want to expand my level of expertise with good safe quality training from a place that isnt only interested in getting as much money as possible out of me.

Do my points make sense?

Your objectives make sense. That said, a 5 star PADI operation may or may not meet those objectives. The same with an other dive operation (or instructor operating on their own).

For what to look for, I might start with http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne.../166469-what-consider-new-student-diving.html and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html as well as the answers provided by others above.

Said another way, I dive with a PADI Golden Palm resort for three weeks every year. I dive with them because they are truly a great operation (diving, instruction, sales/repair) not because of the label. If they decided not to pay PADI for the Golden Palm label and made no other changes, I would consider them the exact same great operation. I would be equally happy if they became a NAUI or a TDI shop.

Hi Tom

Would second the idea of locating a working instructor in the area. Having spent a number of years in the region (Iraq and KSA) in my normal profession and instructing on the side, most expat instructors (if that is what you are after, tho you would find Kuwaiti instructors also) would be independent, mostly teaching out of residential compounds or loosly affiliated with a shop. You will need to check the regulations regarding shore diving, in KSA was not so bad, not sure about Kuwait, as you could imagine I didn't do any in the south of Iraq!

Gulf there is interesting mostly flat shallow beaches and the water can be very warm! Have dived around Jubail (KSA) previously and around Jana Island, a tad south of you....warm waters, very saline, remember one time, surface water temp temp was 39C till 12m (36') where thermocline dropped to 29C, this was with an air temp of 46C!!

You should find a BSAC club locally, or wait for your out of country escapes to head to Aqaba, Dubai, Oman.... can personally recommend Al Boom Diving in Dubai, run some nice diving in Musandam, in Aqaba can recommend Dive Aqaba, just be fully prepared kit wise in Aqaba, retail sales are sparse, but some great red sea diving!

Cheers
Jason

Hi guys. I have met Tom and we just finished a refresher. We are going to try to get out on the water in the next few days if the wind and sand let up. He is a nice guy.

Oh, and I am SDI/TDI, by the way. The Kim Center is no longer in business. They even have their boat and berth up for sale. I looked at the boat, but the keel has been broken at some time and repaired, and it looks beaten up. It was a nice boat too.

There is another PADI shop here, but he had communication issues and chose to try me. Hope he's happy with us.
Thanks, Jim for thinking about me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom