Double Check Your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ndboi

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had a situation in Cozumel where I ran out of air at about 85 feet (sort of). Taking a breath became harder and harder as I went down. Checking my gauge I noticed I had 3000psi but the needle would drop to 0 with each breath. I grabbed my buddy on the leg and with my last breath, reached for his air, which, he quickly gave up. he fixed the problem and we finished the dive.

What actually happened I can only speculate but I think what happened is this. The dive leader was turning on everyone's air. I am not used to having anyone touch my gear so when I felt my 1st stage tight I cranked it the other way and backed it up 1/2 turn. Then jumped in the water. I believe I actually closed my tank and then only opened it 1/2 turn, thinking I was opening it and backing it down 1/2 turn.

Needless to say, I double check my air supply now! Sheesh!!! What a rookie mistake...:no:

Yes, make it part of your pre-dive ritual to take a few breaths off of your regulator as you watch your gauge. The needle should not move.

When doing an OW class I show all the students what a partly closed valve looks like and preach looking at your gauges while breathing off the reg. This happens way too often.
I am not a big fan of air intergrated computers for several reasons but this is one of the major ones, most have a refresh rate that is too slow to catch the swinging in tank pressure like a standard SPG will. Be doubly careful when using them.

This is another example of what happens when divers are taught to turn the valve back a 1/4 or 1/2 turn. Tank valves should always be turned either all the way on or all the way off. It is also a good idea to learn how to reach and turn your own valves.

It is also a good idea to learn how to reach and turn your own valves.

True dat. It's also another reason why being comfortable with removal & replacement of the scuba unit underwater is a good idea.

This is another example of what happens when divers are taught to turn the valve back a 1/4 or 1/2 turn. Tank valves should always be turned either all the way on or all the way off. It is also a good idea to learn how to reach and turn your own valves.

Yup - a valve should be either ALL THE WAY OPEN or ALL THE WAY CLOSED.

My wife is a lefty and she always turns the valve in the wrong direction or she could be trying to collect my life insurance. :hm:

I always turn my tank valve all the way to the open position. When diving on a agressor boat the dm on duty was checking everyones tank before hitting the water. It was harder to breathe the deeper I went and at 90fsw I finally had my wife check the valve and sure enough, he has closed the valve and turned it slightly so it breathed fine at the surface but not at depth. I have a intergrated computer so always breathe off the reg before hitting the water. I would much rather the policy be to either have the valve open or closed

Perfect place for me to ask, why is it recommended to back-turn the valve 1/4 turn? I don't recall anyone giving me a reason for this - and if it isn't some "necessity" then I'm not doing it anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom