Double Check Your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one reason I can think of is if the "DM" or anyone checks if the valve is on, and it is all the way on they can tighten it enough that you will not be able to turn it off without getting a wrench. of course at least you can still dive.:D

I heard it can get stuck in the all open position if you dive with it that way, that's the reasoning I was told anyway. Maybe we should call mythbusters?

I would have had a real heart to heart chat with that DM. I turn mine on, and then MAYBE turn back just a little (I mean a LITTLE). The reason this technique was developed was so divers would not over exert the valve on. Valves are different now, and they're certainly more robust. Just turn your valve on until it stops, and leave it there. The teaching point is just don't muscle it to the on position. As mentioned above, after I check my air, and my buddy checks my air, (then we do his), breath a few breaths off your second stage. The analog gauge should stay put, digital gauges may fluxuate a little, but get back to the starting pressure (I know this was not really your problem here, since your gauge read 3000 PSI, you thought you were good).

I've never heard of a DM turning on everyone's air. If you run into this again, just check your valve again, and make sure you're comfortable that your valve is all the way on.

I'm really happy that you and your buddy kept your heads and got out of this situation safely. I've seen a tragic end of an OOA problem, and I promise you that you will never want to see that with our sport. I always use a redundant 30 cu. ft. sling bottle. It's an excellent back up for you, or you can hand it off to a buddy if need be.

Safe diving to you. Nice work on handling a serious situation.

It used to be with the old valves they could stick when fully opened. A modern well maintained valve should not have this problem.

As others have said it is a good idea to be able to turn the valve yourself while under the water. We all get distracted and forget something. I will admit to forgetting to once turn my air on, forgetting to connect my LP hose to my dry suit, and even once forgetting to put my mask on ;-). Each time I was distracted and rushing.

BTW I ask the DM not to turn my air on as I have a transmitter. There is no probably if they want to check it if they ask.

Checking my gauge I noticed I had 3000psi but the needle would drop to 0 with each breath.

That's a sign that the vavle was not fully open. I teach my students this danger.

I believe I actually closed my tank and then only opened it 1/2 turn, thinking I was opening it and backing it down 1/2 turn.

I think you're correct. I think that is what happened.

Needless to say, I double check my air supply now! Sheesh!!! What a rookie mistake...:no:

Go easy on yourself. You're not the first person to have done this.

And you are to be commended for admitting the error. You learned from it.

Keep diving.

Perfect place for me to ask, why is it recommended to back-turn the valve 1/4 turn? I don't recall anyone giving me a reason for this - and if it isn't some "necessity" then I'm not doing it anymore.

I believe the reason for turning it back is to reduce the chance of the valve getting stuck in the open position. At least that is what we used to do with larger bottles in the lab.

You really should be able to reach and turn on or off your own valves. Doing so would solve the problem the OP had. Valve drills should be done every few dives so the process is automatic when you need it.

Perfect place for me to ask, why is it recommended to back-turn the valve 1/4 turn? I don't recall anyone giving me a reason for this - and if it isn't some "necessity" then I'm not doing it anymore.

From a purely mechanical point of view - anytime a valve is turned "all the way", be it an air valve, water valve, or whatever, it can stick. It takes more momentum (force) to budge a valve from complete "lock".

The military trains people to never leave anything on full, but to back off a little. It's a good preventative maintenance practice.

Perhaps the question should not be, "Why are some divers being trained this way?" but "Are there any advantages to turning the valves partly back that outweigh the risks?" More than one diver has died as a result of going in the water with a partially open valve. What will take to change the way some instructors teach this basic procedure?

For me it is substituting the idea that no one touches your gear but you. Valves all the way open, provided you tell the DM to keep their damn hands off your valves if they want a tip. They are used to getting so many who are barely capable of setting up their own gear that it has become habit to check the divers air supply. Until the shortcuts are taken away and competent divers show up on boats, DM's will continue to put their hands where they really have no business putting them- on your gear.

Want to be sure that your air is on? DO it yourself and do not allow ANYONE else to touch your valves. Your buddy can watch you breath the reg and watch your gauge but unless specifically requested he/she should not be touching your valves either. I ask my students to make sure their air is on after the first pool session because I will ask but not physically verify it. It is their job to do that.

Instructors need to get away from training divers with the idea that someone will be looking out for them when they get out of class. Until then the DM's almost have to keep checking unless they want more accidents on their hands.

Frankly, a DM should not be required for gear checks and should not assume that role outside of classes.

righty tighty .. and lefty is the other one

It's ok, I can't spell losey, err, lucy, umm loosy.. either...

ndboi, if it makes you feel any better, I ran out of air a couple of years ago in Utila. We were diving with one of those fancy, schmancy places that won't let you lift your own snorkel keeper. My trusty DM neglected to actually change my tanks between dives, and I stoopidly took a couple of breaths but didn't look at my gauge before I started into my second dive.

About 20 minutes and 88 feet later, I sucked my last suck (those Apex DS4s are very easy breathing). I debated a free ascent but since I was into my forth day of repetitive diving, I figured a wee (or not so wee) bend would have resulted. My wifey was happily snapping macro shots about 30 feet away, so I mozied on over and helped myself to her second reg.

The funny part was that while we were getting organized to ascend, and putting our camera stuff back together, our DM swam over and gave me the WTF? signal. I responded that I had run out of air. He pointed at me to say "You???" and burst out in laughter and swam away. (He was aware that I had been diving a while.).

Anyway, we had an uneventful ascent, blowing our SMB and did a safety stop before getting a fresh tank and starting over.

After the dive, when we figured out what happened, the DM was horrified, but I assured him it was no big deal, but we were both glad it happened to me and not a less experienced dude...

Needless to say, I don't let DMs mess with my gear any more. Valet diving or not, I'm doing it myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom