Spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The folk that invented spring straps should have a monument built to them. I can't count the number of times I've had my fins on in rough surf and had to wait while my dive buddies fumbled with the rubber straps. I agree, they should just be standard equipment now.

I agree they should be stardard equipment. One thing for sure no more fumbling around with my fin straps anymore:D:D

I sincerely doubt there is a big price difference between spring straps and standard straps. I mean, essentially a spring strap is some plastic and a spring (I would be willing to bet that a $30 pair of spring straps costs less than $5 to make). In fact, to replace the factory buckle/strap assemblies on my Quattros would actually be more expensive than the spring straps I bought. Spring straps probably cost more to manufacture than most standard assemblies, but I highly doubt it is any sort of meaningful amount.

I can tell you from a brief exposure to injected plastic manufacturing, the standard buckles on a typical fin probably cost pennies to make. Plastic and rubber are extremely cheap both in source material and manufacturing. Stainless steel springs are expensive. Just look at the price difference at your local mega hardware store between a nickle plated bolt snap and a stainless steel bolt snap. Stainless steel isn't cheap, and I imagine the right alloy to make a flexible spring is probably more than that to make a bolt snap.

Back
Top Bottom