Spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't swim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I got home yesterday evening from work and the USPS had left a package at my door.
It was the pair of spring straps I had ordered 3 days before.
Now I know that many people have posted about using spring straps and their posts were so positive that I had to have a pair before next months vacation.
As luck would have it, later yesterday evening my son and I went to a farm pond to get a little wet.
I quickly traded out my old straps and replaced them with the spring straps.
They by far have to be the best piece of equipment I have purchased.
Thank you to everyone that commented on the spring straps.
They will make life a little easier.
A $30.00 investment well made.

I'm one happy old fart!!!

Tim

...congrats! I've got (5) pairs of fins, all with SS straps ( 4 Apollo Bio pairs and 1 Diverite pair) and I think SS straps are completely brilliant...I can't even conceive of diving without them!

I have 3 pairs of fins so i am going to buy one pair of Spring Straps and see how they work out and how i like them before i buy more. My dive buddies use them and i have hear a lot of good things about them.

I got some for Christmas and just got to use them for the first time in the quarry yesterday - Money well spent for sure - I'll never go back to the terrible rubber straps

Spring straps were my first step down the road to the dark side . . . I have multiple pairs of fins, and I don't even use the regular straps for the pool!

Congrats on your upgrade! It honestly suprises me that spring straps haven't become the industry standard. Apollo, Atomic and Hollis offer fins that come with spring straps but it seems to me that just about any fin over $100 should include them automatically. Miflex hoses are another piece of equipment that is like that...rubber hoses should simply be phased out and manufacturers should start selling computers, regs etc with Miflex.

The folk that invented spring straps should have a monument built to them. I can't count the number of times I've had my fins on in rough surf and had to wait while my dive buddies fumbled with the rubber straps. I agree, they should just be standard equipment now.

Congrats on your upgrade! It honestly suprises me that spring straps haven't become the industry standard. Apollo, Atomic and Hollis offer fins that come with spring straps but it seems to me that just about any fin over $100 should include them automatically. Miflex hoses are another piece of equipment that is like that...rubber hoses should simply be phased out and manufacturers should start selling computers, regs etc with Miflex.

Spring Straps are much more expensive than regular straps, which is why they aren't standard. The fins that don include them are "top of the line" fins. ScubaPro is experimenting with a lower cost bungie strap that is essentially the same with marine grade bungie instead of the spring. I have a pair of the Seawing Nova's and the bungie strap works very much the same as the SS spring strap on my Hollis F1's. We will see how long the strap lasts, SP does have a lifetime replacement for it. If we see a change on fins, I think it more likely the bungie strap than SS spring straps.

Spring Straps are much more expensive than regular straps, which is why they aren't standard. The fins that don include them are "top of the line" fins. ScubaPro is experimenting with a lower cost bungie strap that is essentially the same with marine grade bungie instead of the spring. I have a pair of the Seawing Nova's and the bungie strap works very much the same as the SS spring strap on my Hollis F1's. We will see how long the strap lasts, SP does have a lifetime replacement for it. If we see a change on fins, I think it more likely the bungie strap than SS spring straps.

I sincerely doubt there is a big price difference between spring straps and standard straps. I mean, essentially a spring strap is some plastic and a spring (I would be willing to bet that a $30 pair of spring straps costs less than $5 to make). In fact, to replace the factory buckle/strap assemblies on my Quattros would actually be more expensive than the spring straps I bought. Spring straps probably cost more to manufacture than most standard assemblies, but I highly doubt it is any sort of meaningful amount.

Back
Top Bottom