SCUBAPRO Geo BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Are these out yet? The write-ups I've seen online look promising, at least to me. I'm looking for a nice BC for tropical travel, and while I don't want to compromise much in the way of features or durability, the prospect of a good BC that folds up and packs small/light sounds appealing.

Anyone out there have any actual experience with the new Scubapro Geo? I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.

Thanks.

PS: I'm not looking to build or assemble my own custom rig, so enthusiasts for going that route, thanks but no thanks. I'm looking for something "off the shelf".

Are these out yet? The write-ups I've seen online look promising, at least to me. I'm looking for a nice BC for tropical travel, and while I don't want to compromise much in the way of features or durability, the prospect of a good BC that folds up and packs small/light sounds appealing.

Anyone out there have any actual experience with the new Scubapro Geo? I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.

Thanks.

PS: I'm not looking to build or assemble my own custom rig, so enthusiasts for going that route, thanks but no thanks. I'm looking for something "off the shelf".

I don't have any experience with the geo, it looks pretty streamline and small for traveling. I do however have the ScubaPro Seahawk and LOVE it. It is also streamline and great for traveling but also has a back inflate bladder.

The Seahawk looks nice, but my goal is to get gear that packs up small enough to allow us (a couple) to get all the expensive/delicate/critical stuff to come along in our 2 carry-on bags - including cameras and other electronics - so a compact rig is important.

Can you describe how compactly your Seahawk packs down (approximate dimensions and shape)?

As an aside, this is one spec - a BC's minimum packed size - that I wish the manufacturers would publish routinely. I think it's an important factor for many folks (and probably will be increasingly so, as airlines continue to stick it to their customers).

Thanks.

No experience with the Geo. Check out the Zeagle Express Tech. I got it for my son, and it is extremely light and compact.

Yes, I believe they are out on the market. I want to say the last time I was at a LDS that is a SP dealer, they had one on display. GEO - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

Another travel BC you may consider is the AquaLung Zuma. Like the Geo, it folds down into a very compact package; but unlike the Geo, it's weight-integrated. Zuma

ScubaPro also has the Equator. While it will not fold down to as small a package as the Geo, it does have a soft backpack that will allow it pack much tighter than a standard BC and it is weight-integrated. http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/scuba-lab/2009/04/scubapro-equator

SP also has the LiteHawk coming out. http://www.scubapro.com/americas/en...compensators/back-floatation-jackets/litehawk It is a travel version of the SeaHawk, but is not weight-integrated.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm really looking for is a "BC for travel" - and that may or may not be something marketed as a "travel BC".

Being able to pack down small is really important to me. I fly to the other side of the world, I'm bringing all my critical/expensive/fragile stuff with me in my carry-on bag. And since I don't spend all my time diving, that bag has to include some other stuff, like camera gear and another one or two compact, carefully chosen electronics - plus the BC and reg.

And although I put a premium on portability, this stuff ain't cheap, and the trips are expensive, so I want a BC that performs well, is comfortable, and has enough features to make me feel like I'm enjoying the experience rather than scrimping just so I could manage to cram it in my bag. Yes, I know, these are requirements that tend to pull in opposite directions. I'm just looking for the sweet spot.

I went to a local dive fair this past weekend, hoping to find some compact BCs. I found one or two that would pack up small, but they were just too minimalist for my tastes - soft backplates with bladders attached an a long nylon strap looped around. They looked really uncomfortable and really lacking in features. Several other BCs that were being pitched as "compact, ideal for travel" seemed quite bulky.

Right now, I'm thinking about the Scubapro Geo, the Scubapro Equator, and the Aqualung Zuma. I have not been able to locate a shop with any of these in stock, so I can't really get a good sense if any of them hit my sweet spot.

The Scubapro Geo seems like it might come close. It appears to pack up very small (I've read descriptions that compare its packed size to a large loaf of bread, although in the photos I've seen it looks more like it's the size of an "airline pillow", if you remember those). What I like about this BC (having never seen it in the flesh) are it's small packable size, and the fact that it doesn't completely do away with conventional BC features. It's got what look like reasonable shoulder straps, D-rings, and even two large pockets.

I believe this BC has a very small, semi-rigid backplate - and that seems to be the determining factor in packability: the smaller the "backplate footprint" the more compact the thing will pack down.

The Scubapro Equator, which I've just started researching, appears to have a small-sh (1/2-size) rigid backplate, and also seems to have "real BC features" - again, a bit more padding, pockets, even (I think) weight integration). At first glance, the Equator seems like maybe it was last year's attempt to make a packable BC - the 1/2 height backplate being a major difference from the Scubapro *hawk line of BCs. Is the Equator last year's Geo, before the company decided to get more minimal? I dunno, but I would like to see one and try it on. I found one online review of this BC which described its packed size as roughly the size of a box of breakfast cereal. That would probably work for me, if it's true (assuming they're talking your standard cereal box, not the Costco size...).

I've also been thinking about the Zuma. I have some concerns about durability, though - search other threads here and you will see some folks had parts break quickly and they had concerns about the quality/durability of some materials. I'd like to look at one of these in the flesh and try one on.

One thing that I wish I could find is a comparison of the packed-down size of these "travel BCs" (or "BCs for travel"). The manufacturers always post a variety of other stats and specs, I wish they would also include the dimensions when packed for travel. That seems like a pretty important bit of info - surely they sell a lot of these to people who plan to take them traveling. One of the magazines should do a comparison that includes - and illustrates - the size of these things (yes, I'm looking at YOU, Scuba Diving/Scubalab...).

Anybody who owns any of these BCs, can you describe the packed size? Any other feedback on these three BCs also welcome.

Thanks!!!

I went to a local dive fair this past weekend, hoping to find some compact BCs. I found one or two that would pack up small, but they were just too minimalist for my tastes - soft backplates with bladders attached an a long nylon strap looped around. They looked really uncomfortable and really lacking in features. Several other BCs that were being pitched as "compact, ideal for travel" seemed quite bulky.
Have you ever tried out a backplate/wing-style BCD? They look really uncomfortable, but in reality are highly adjustable, comfortable, easy to operate, lightweight, and travel-friendly. Do yourself a favor and demo a backplate/wing in the water before you make your decision. I'm sure that the Zuma, Geo, and Equator are good enough BCDs, too, though.

Do yourself a favor and demo a backplate/wing in the water before you make your decision.

What's the dimensions of that backplate? That's a critical issue for me.

If the backplate is too large in either length or width, that takes it out of consideration for me (even if it's flat and light). I'm hoping to end up with a solution that is no larger than a "breakfast cereal box" (to use one example I've heard elsewhere) - smaller, if possible. Any large, rigid parts make that unlikely. I assume that any backplate/wing setup absolutely depends on there being a large, rigid plate. If any part of that (or any other single part, even when broken down) is too large, it's just not going to work for me.

I understand that the whole BP/W thing is something of a religion for many here. Like any religion, I am happy for those who find some benefit from that - but I'm skeptical that it's best for me. Vive la difference.

What's the dimensions of that backplate? That's a critical issue for me.
Backplates come in different shapes and sizes. Soft backplates are also an option. In my mind, a "backplate" can be a hard, rigid plate constructed of stainless steel, aluminum, or plastic OR a soft "plate" constructed of pliable material that can be rolled up or folded.
If the backplate is too large in either length or width, that takes it out of consideration for me (even if it's flat and light). I'm hoping to end up with a solution that is no larger than a "breakfast cereal box" (to use one example I've heard elsewhere) - smaller, if possible. Any large, rigid parts make that unlikely. I assume that any backplate/wing setup absolutely depends on there being a large, rigid plate. If any part of that (or any other single part, even when broken down) is too large, it's just not going to work for me.

I understand that the whole BP/W thing is something of a religion for many here. Like any religion, I am happy for those who find some benefit from that - but I'm skeptical that it's best for me. Vive la difference.
Being skeptical is one thing, but making incorrect assumptions is quite another. Not being open-minded enough to give a BP/W a try...is a shame really. It sounds like you've already talked yourself out of one.

When you think about it, stripping down a BCD to fit inside a "breakfast cereal box" means removing unnecessary features (various clips, padding, pockets, etc.). What you're left with...is a harness of some sort, a bladder, a gizmo to dump/add air to the bladder, and a tank strap or two. That's a minimalist BCD. That's essentially a BP/W in its basic configuration.

The oxycheq ultralight BP with the 18lb wing is probably the lightest and most compact set up I've seen. You do sacrifice the rigid backplate, but that's life I guess. If I were traveling someplace that had severe restrictions on luggage and I had to get a light/small set up I'd go for the DSS kydex plate and tropical wing. For you, it sounds like the backplate would be too big.

As far as comfort goes, since you're trying the gear on land, not underwater, you have little idea what will actually be more comfortable while diving, with a tank. In this case, your need for ultra compact/light lines up well with the comfort of a simple webbing harness rather than the bulk of padding and extra straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom