Which do you prefer? Fantasy Island or Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thomthumb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to think of a diving difference between Fantasy Island in Roatan and the resorts on Utila besides seeing the whale sharks. I am looking for an all inclusive that has good diving and I haven't been able to find much difference. Could someone help me out?

Thanks,
Thom
:cool2:

On Utila, even at an AI, you will be immersed in the strange and unique atmosphere... or whatever it is that Utila is.

Utila is one of the islands that I would put on the "see it now" list, before time and success screws it up. Most all of the resorts center around Utila town, which can rightly be described as dusty concrete in nature.

I am not as enamored with the diving there, and as you casually reference the Whalesharks, that is probably a good attitude to take. If you see them at certain times, good for you. If you go there expecting to have that ticket punched on your dive log book, I wish you well. The overall diving is as good as you'll get anywhere in the Caribbean nowadays, but certain areas of Roatan blow it away.

To compare an entire island town to one AI resort is a bit odd, though.

FIBR sits along the Southern shore of Roatan, an area that is unique in the Caribbean. It has vertical walls that break at reefs very close to the surface. They are exposed to the SE, so they get Sunlight all day long. A peculiar niche environment.

You might also be talking about price, when you use the phrase "haven't been able to find much difference".

FIBR is about the least expensive thing going on Roatan if your main focus is diving. If you want 4 a day on Roatan, you can get this at a great price at FIBR with a little bit of effort.

The dive schedule (overall) is a little more slow-paced on Utila, based a bit more on the European model. You're going to have to select with care to get larger quantities of diving.

In either (and any) case, just remember that when a dive operation offers 3 boats in a day, you might have to hustle a bit, like at FIBR, to make them all, or in some other cases... you really can not do all three because of timing. Know what you want, analyze the schedule, and pick from there.

FIBR and it's like will be around for a long while, although the unique Southern shore is facing it's ecological challenges. Utila, though, is changing fast. I have never been a great fan of it's diving, preferring the South shore of Roatan, but if you want to see a throwback to the 1970's (If you take-out the electronic toys like cellphones and TV dishes), go to Utila now before it is ruined by its own success.

Hi

I agree strange to compare a resort to an Island, I am afraid that I do have to disagree with something that RoatanMan said which was 'Most all of the resorts center around Utila town',

This is not correct the resorts that are on Utila are the Mango Inn, Utila Lodge, Laguna Beach, Deep Blue Resort and Utopia, only 2 of the resorts are in town 3 are situated along the south shore of the island with their own beaches.

If the original poster is asking about the actual diving the situation is that on the south side of the island we have fringing reefs that go down to approx 100ft there are some deeper there are some shallower, on the north side we have huge walls that drop hundreds and hundreds of feet, we also have sea mounds, the tops of mountains that rise from the seabed to within 25 or 30 ft of the surface and are great dives with loads of life.

As for diving schedule a lot of the resort on Utila offer unlimited shore diving and at least 3 boat dives a day.

We have been to Roatan twice, once to Fantasy Island and once to Reef House. Have only been to Utila once, but plan on going back one day. As Roatanman said, the reefs on Roatan have a few things going for them that you do not see most places. That southern exposure on the reef can be compared in a way to a garden with a southern exposure compared to one with a northern exposure. The southern has far more time for things to grow and prosper.

On Utila we stayed at Laguna Beach Resort, which is not in town, and enjoyed the diving. It is different then Roatan for certain, but there were some dive sites that were wonderful; the sea mounts come to mind right away. Many more and larger fish then on most other reefs we dove on Roatan.

That being said, the diving out of Reef House was some of the finest underwater time we have spent. So, which island......try to do a week on each and make your own comparison. :wink:

We just got back from FIBR. While I know nothing of Utlila I know that there was NO problem making the three boat dives a day. You go out at 9 come back in for your SI. When you come back from the second dive you have time to do lunch and a little spare before the 2:30 dive goes out. Very easy diving and beautiful walls.
Totally different from West Bay where we stayed last year where we saw lots of turtles and larger fish. But southside if beautiful.
We did see a spotted eagle ray on our first dive!
have fun,,,,

I may be completely biased but my vote is for the Mango Inn in Utila...

Mango Inn is situated in Utila Town exposing you to the atmosphere that roatanman was talking about. And the diving is done with Utila Dive Center, which is the biggest and best shop on the island.... Giving you the best of both worlds

If you have any more specific questions, I'd be more than glad to help.

Mikey

So........ how was your trip!? :)

Our stay there was wonderful. Except for baggage problems coming and going... dang airlines.
But the good news is I now have $300 in vouchers for our next trip.
Dive op at FIBR was wonderful. Had a great dive group on our boat which was between 10-11 for a few days then down to 8-9. They did a wonderful job and we loved it.
Totally different than West Bay but really liked them both. Not sure what we will do next time as far as accommodations..
Definately couldn't beat the deal we got.
Have fun and let me know how your trip goes..
Lynn

Have you stayed at reef house before? Please let me know about it when you get back.
Not sure that I will go back to FIBR...but want to go back to Roatan..
Thanks

We have been to both areas- several times. Then we discovered Reef House Resort-
We are just returning from a fantastic week there and will certainly return - many times in the future! Best food ever!! and all of the dive sites are farther up on the eat side so very untouched by the many other dive boats. Small operation but expertly managed. Dive master has been there for years and knows all of the area well. Mike - the owner and manager is an expert at making everyone comfortable, well fed and thrilled with all of the dives and sites. He also does all of the training so of you need any- beginning to advanced/specialties you can do these right there. I really cant say enough good things about the resort. Also by far the best VALUE!
Check it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom