Possible New Dive Boat Venture...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys those are great points and definently will be taken under advisement.

Suprbugman if you look at the location of the Oriskany its only about an extra 5 miles from Destin that from pensacola so the ride out wouldn't be much longer, or am i mistaken?

The O is roughly 40 miles from Destin, 25 miles from P-Cola and 30miles from Orange Beach, Al.

If its nearly twice the distance from Destin, I definately wouldn't consider it in your business plan...

There's plenty else you can offer, outside the Oriscany.

Yeah, i did the math on google earth, but if everything works out i will make a test run out and get the facts, i think its not much farther because it is almost situtated in from of navarre.

Guys thanks for all the helpfull information, i'm definetly filling my bank and am weaving all the information into a plan that will make most divers happy. I'm glad to hear that everyone does like Cats because the boat we are looking at has 2 3408 cats that i think will get her going good enough for dives around here. It won't be racing any twin outboard boats, but i think it will get the job done.

Keep them coming as i'm sure i'm not the only person lisening.

I'm glad to hear that everyone does like Cats because the boat we are looking at has 2 3408 cats that i think will get her going good enough for dives around here. It won't be racing any twin outboard boats, but i think it will get the job done.

I think the "cats" people are expressing a preference for indicates the hull design of the boat ("catamaran"), not the motive power ("Cat Diesel").

As for boat dive preferences, when I first started diving in South Florida about 10 years ago two-tank dives were $30-35; even with inflation and changes in fuel prices in the intervening decade I still have some psychological difficulty when confronted with $85+ for two-tank boat dives here in the panhandle; obviously even the closer-in dive sites are further from shore here than they are in Fort Lauderdale and thus the fuel costs are higher--in addition there's not nearly as much competition here.

But anything to lower the cost of a standard trip would get me out on a charter boat more often. Maybe offer a special price for prepaying for multiple trips? E.g., five two-tank inshore trips (to be used any time in the next year) for 75% of the cost of (one two-tank trip x 5). It would make your cash flow more "lumpy" but properly managed it would provide some insulation during lean times. I would expect a lot of locals would choose this type of option--bring my per-dive cost down and I'll dive more over the course of a year! I live in Pensacola so for me that's the best spot from which to depart.

Last edited:
http://www.co.escambia.fl.us/Bureau...-2006fwcdiveassessment_page_03_image_0001.jpg
I stand corrected it's 22.5 from P-Cola and 32.7 from Destin and I know it is 30 from Orange Beach because I run from here on a regular bases.

I actually went looking for that graphic yesterday because I thought it was 30 miles (roughly) from Destin also. I remembered that pic from before they sunk it.

But I couldn't find it..... and I figured you being a charter captain that ran trips there knew it better than me.... so by default I figured you were right. :D

...I still have some psychological difficulty when confronted with $85+ for two-tank boat dives here in the panhandle; obviously even the closer-in dive sites are further from shore here than they are in Fort Lauderdale and thus the fuel costs are higher--in addition there's not nearly as much competition here.

But anything to lower the cost of a standard trip would get me out on a charter boat more often. Maybe offer a special price for prepaying for multiple trips? E.g., five two-tank inshore trips (to be used any time in the next year) for 75% of the cost of (one two-tank trip x 5). It would make your cash flow more "lumpy" but properly managed it would provide some insulation during lean times. I would expect a lot of locals would choose this type of option--bring my per-dive cost down and I'll dive more over the course of a year! ...

Ditto

If the cost was the same for the "O" from Destin as P'cola I would not mind the extra ride.

So how much time does that add to the trip from Destin. Not sure how many MPH a boat like yours does Gary??? How long does it take travel 10 miles in a Cat like yours Gary, on an average day in the Gulf? For the sake of argument, let's say in one foot seas?

http://www.co.escambia.fl.us/Bureau...-2006fwcdiveassessment_page_03_image_0001.jpg
I stand corrected it's 22.5 from P-Cola and 32.7 from Destin and I know it is 30 from Orange Beach because I run from here on a regular bases.

Sorry guys, i'm a former diesel mechanic so when i heard cat i automatically see big yellow engines. If you look at the chart there its just measuring from the opening of the pass, when i left for my trip there was a decent trip to just get to the pass, which would add some miles.

I do agree Chris_b that the cost are something that is keeping more people away, and i have actually been rolling some different ways to help out the local divers.

Kalik has another point, now this would kind of go against what Chris_b was looking for but if you were the first to book would you be against a small charge that would guarantee that the boat will go to the dive sites you want to, and if anyone else books they have to either go to your spots or wait for another trip? Typing it makes it sound like a worse idea than it did in my head.

Something that might address both of your problems would be what i would call having a "Crew", or a group of people that you go diving with often. When your crew books the boat, i would say 3 or more people, the boat goes where you want to go that day, and ever time your crew books the boat you would get more of a discount until you reach a certain level, lets say Chis_b's 75%. This way you would have more commraderer and maybe there could be some kind of competition we can work out between crews for a free trip. BTW if i can i would like to make the boat a spearfishing boat also.

As for what Chris B said about the 85 dollar a head price for a 2 tank inshore, I can remember in the 80's ( somewhat) 20 to 25 dollars for a 2 tanker. But now days when you figure in slip rent, insurance, maintanence, and my favorite, ever rising fuel costs, even if you do your own work 85 dollars a head for a 6pack 2tanker is still very cheap. At this price your profit margin is still slim. If you dont run at least 2 trips a day every day during the season it is a long long cold winter. That is just my opinion. I will say that some of us in PC get a little more than that. But we tend to cater to to the customer a little more than the larger boatsie not rushing everybody off and on the boat and maybe stoping to check out the dolphin on the way back in when time permits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom