Possible New Dive Boat Venture...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whyphysco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to get a pulse on the local divers thoughts outside of the divers that i talk to regularly.

It seems like the local divers get a little bored with the local dive boats because they seem to visit the same spots over an over again. If there was a smaller boat that would take you to the spots that aren't visited much, deeper more advanced dives, doing night dives on different wrecks and limestone shelfs, and maybe even making runs out to the Oriskany from Fort Walton Beach/Destin. If this something that the local divers in the area are looking for?

If you were going on a boat that did these things, what would you be looking for to make it more of an enjoyable trip that you would want to use that boat again? Would you want a faster boat that got you out and back fast, or would you sacrifice a little speed to be able to sit and relax on the way out and back? Are there Tech divers in the area who would like a boat that would take them out on dives? Any imput would be appreciated.

It's something that i am looking into and i appriciate any comments or concerns. I'm not saying anything bad about any boats in the area, just curious if there is a nitch that isn't being filled by the boats in the Ft Walton Beach/Destin area.

Thank you.

I'm a Pensacola diver with access to boats, but I still do the occasional charter. I'm not a tech diver, but that's the direction I'm heading, so I've been eyeing folks that do those types of dives. Tech divers usually seem to dive in groups large enough to fill a 6-pack, and there are usually extra fees associated with tech divers on charter boats. I assume it's because there is more gear, and that takes up more room, and weighs more (steel tanks, scooters, stage/deco bottles, etc).

If I had a choice between a fast boat, or a comfortable boat, I'm picking FAST, but I'd bet I'm in the minority of charter-takers in that opinion. I like Cats because they offer the best of both worlds, fast, and smooth.

I like diving different places, and I really like natural bottom if I can find it. Unless it's the Oriskany, or I REALLY need to dive, I'm not going to be quick to spend money seeing the same wreck I've already seen. I want to see everything once, not one thing every time. The Oriskany is an exception because I've found that each time I dive it, I find something new and interesting about the wreck.

I prefer natural bottom, but there are logistical problems diving it around here. There's less reveal, which means that bad viz will screw the whole dive. Less chance if a wreck has 20 or 30 ft of reveal. Might have crap viz on the bottom, but the top might still be diveable. You have to keep your customers happy. Then there is anchoring/tying in. Most charters I'm on, at least half of the participants couldn't be trusted to do a live boat dive, meaning you have to anchor, possibly damaging the reef, or tie in, which means investing time/money in a buoy or such, that people will steal, damage, or use when you really need to use it.

I love night dives, and there aren't a lot of boats that run night operations. Not sure what the larger market would be.

I usually don't eat if I'm on my own boat, or a friends, but one thing I really like on charters is food. My two favorites to date are fresh pineapple sliced on the boat, and sausage-dogs grilled on the boat. I also like my water a degree or two above freezing. I like that !@#$ COLD!

One of the best trips I've had was on the H20 Below. They didn't do anything better than the rest of my usual dive charters in the area. We're fortunate to have some good operations in the Orange Beach and Pensacola areas... What put this one trip over the top was the dive briefing. DM Rich had charts, maps, photos, and really knew the ship, top to bottom. He spent a good 10-15 minutes with us going over the history of the ship, it's sinking, and the ins and outs of diving it recreationally. Some of the stuff I already knew, but much of it was new, and enhanced my enjoyment of the dive. Granted, not every drop in the Gulf is the Oriskany, but I really enjoy learning about the wrecks I dive, even if that info is mundane.

I agree, give me a cat, smooth an fast, and more fuel efficient on your end. Pass those savings onto the customer. Limit the customers to 6. Don't charge extra for tech divers unless you have to reduce the amount of passengers to accomodate the extra gear, or they want an additional amount of time out in the Gulf(ie, 2 long deco dives, rather than 1 long deco dive which would equal the amount of time 2 short recreational dives would take). Validate an additional cost.

I don't want to goto the Oriskany from Destin/FWB; its easier to drive an hour by car, than pretty much the same amount of time extra, by boat.

Variety is the spice of life, who gives a crap about the Miss Louis and the bridge rubble? I know where to go for that trip.

+3 for the Kat. Capt Gary's boat has been my favorite due to it being the best of both worlds to me. I could get out to a site quick and I got the treament one usually gets on a cattle boat (cooked food) and his 6 pack had plenty of room on it even when full.

I think that costs are something to also look at. I think that the prices in the Pensacola area are a bit much.

I think that offering diversity in dive site to people would be a huge pull for many. Here in Pensacola we have a ton of dive sites to choose from, yet only about six or eight are usually touched by the charter boats.

Guys those are great points and definently will be taken under advisement.

I don't want to goto the Oriskany from Destin/FWB; its easier to drive an hour by car, than pretty much the same amount of time extra, by boat.

Suprbugman if you look at the location of the Oriskany its only about an extra 5 miles from Destin that from pensacola so the ride out wouldn't be much longer, or am i mistaken?

Dunno, I could be wrong, if its only 5 miles, no harm :) but I'd assume more boats would be going from the Destin area...

There are some tech dives available in Destin... MegaDan(tug) and the original(and arguably much better dive) BIG O.(USS Ozark) Its uber deep.

Interesting original premise and interesting follow-up comments. I will follow this thread with great interest, as the comments so far suggest lassitude in the local charter community that I don't see or hear about in my routine charter activities. Some sites are visited often, for good reason. I would hope that all customers would be vocal and assertive regarding needs and desires for services and destination. If there's a shortfall in any area, I want to know. If there is space in the market for another charter operation, welcome aboard. We can only improve from learning about the needs of our customers.
Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com

Interesting original premise and interesting follow-up comments. I will follow this thread with great interest, as the comments so far suggest lassitude in the local charter community that I don't see or hear about in my routine charter activities. Some sites are visited often, for good reason. I would hope that all customers would be vocal and assertive regarding needs and desires for services and destination. If there's a shortfall in any area, I want to know. If there is space in the market for another charter operation, welcome aboard. We can only improve from learning about the needs of our customers.
Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com

Funny, from description of his goals, I immediately thought "Dr. Dive will take you where you want, on a fast six-pack!"

How ya doing Capt. Jim? Spiney season is open!

Capt. Jim, your attitude and philosophy is exactly why I will continue to use and recommend your charter when diving in Pensacola. I know, I haven't been with you in a while....but when the doctor says I can dive again, I am going to give you a holler. I was talking about you tonight. I was eating at the Fish House in Pensacola, and was talking to a guy about diving. Told him how we caught your boat right there at the dock. Do you still use the dock behind the Fish House?

Sorry Curt, don't mean to hijack your thread. You already know my thoughts about a boat going out of Destin. I am all for it if it is done in the way you are thinking about.

Edit: Paul, I see we were typing at the same time and feel the same way about Capt. Jim.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com

In my opinion the problem that I (we) have is that if you have 6 passengers that all know each other and are of about the same caliber divers it is easy to take them to some of the out of the way places, but when you get a few from LDS and a walkon and a regular couple you usually have to bow to the least amount of experience. I would like to say I can pick and choose my customers but in this day and economy we take all we can get. I do prefer a cat also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom